DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Thirteenth Van Cliburn Piano Competition

Discussion in 'Pianists' started by sarah, Mar 7, 2009.

1. sarah

sarah New Member

Just in case some of you weren't aware, the thirteenth Van Cliburn Piano Competition is upon us! It's running May 22nd through June 7. If you're interested in watching some of the performances, they have live web broadcasts available:

http://www.cliburn.org/index.php?page=broadcasts

Have fun watching those poor young pianists sweat! :D

2. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    I CANT WAIT!

I'm gonna be there watching :D

3. sarah

sarah New Member

Are you going to have a chance to attend the competition in person? If so I'm really....envious! :D :D

4. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yeah I'm waiting to get my tickets in the mail...

Now, for coming up with the money for a hotel room for 20 days :?

5. sarah

sarah New Member

Oh, diminished2nd, what an opportunity! That is so exciting. But yeah, I reckon coughing up the cashola for the hotel stay will be one of the least exciting aspects of attending the competition. :D

Seriously now… do keep me updated on what you see and hear! I’d really like to listen to another person’s perspective on the whole experience. I might be able to attend once or twice during the whole event (I live about an hour away), but since I’m studying for an exam during that time I’m thinking I’ll be doing most of my watching from the webcam. Who says you can’t study and watch at the same time? :D :wink: Anyway, have the time of your life at the competition!

6. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    I'm sure I will! Except for being away from my piano and practicing for 2 1/2 weeks.......... :(

We'll have wi-fi in our hotel I assume, so I can put up comments on most of the recitals probably :p it should be a lot of fun! I especially can't wait for the quintets... I LOVE the quintets!

7. sarah

sarah New Member

Great, I'm really looking forward to your comments! I love the quintets too... particularly the Brahms. It is so lovely. I'm thinking of learning the two-piano version for a recital next year, provided the gal I'd like to play it with isn't too busy.

8. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    there's a two piano version of it?

!

I looove the scherzo from that one

9. sarah

sarah New Member

Yes, there is! I think the story behind the evolution of the piece is that it was originally conceived as a string quartet; however, Clara Schumann persuaded Brahms that it would be more prudent to reshape it into a two-piano version. She didn't exactly like that either and set Brahms to make it into a piano quintet. Quite a fussy woman! After all that, she tried to coerce the poor composer to make it into a symphony but he declined. I would too! :roll:

I love Argerich and Zilberstein's recording of the two-piano work - it makes me wish more than ever that I could play with just half of the enthusiasm and expression that those two do. Not that wishing will get me anywhere... :lol:

You like the scherzo too? It's my absolute favorite of the four movements! I've wondered if it could be played alone, as it seems plenty enthralling by itself, but unfortunately it ends on the dominant. I wonder how that could be fixed as to be inconspicuous? I've played around with it a bit and haven't really come up with much that's eminently satisfactory. Any ideas?

10. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

Student, amateur musician
    diminished2nd's sig:

That may be the funniest sig line ever. :lol:

11. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    Just got back from the 1st recital w/ the first 3 people's programs. Natacha Kudritskaya, Stephen Beus, and Ran Dank played. I would rank them 3-1-2 personally, but everyone else I've talked to seems to think it should be 3-2-1. Stephen was ABSOLUTELY amazing... He knew what he wanted to communicate with every note, and exactly how he wanted to communicate those things really clearly.

there's a live stream of all the recitals at www.cliburn.tv, btw, and after the recitals they're archiving it so you can watch it "on demand" I guess... everyone here should definitely check out Stephen and Ran once they're archived. Ran's Liszt was really incredible as well.

12. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

I'm watching Mr. Tierra right now. Will check out the others once they are archived.

It's great you are able to attend! :wink:

13. sarah

sarah New Member

I agree wholeheartedly! I really hope he makes it to the next round.

Thanks for the update!

14. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

And unfortunately he didn't. :( The jury cut both Beus and Spencer Myer. :shock:

15. sarah

sarah New Member

I've been in mourning the whole day. :cry: They were two of my favorites... and Beus was my very favorite. Goodness, wonder what the jury was thinking. :roll: And one of the two pianists I detested got in the semis (don't worry, I don't plan to reveal their identity). :D The competition has already been quite a ride! I wonder what will happen next...

16. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    well, I had my list of 12 picked out with 4 prospective medalists, and 7 "other favourites" besides. only 4 of my top 12 made it, and 5 of my other 7. so 3 of them that advanced weren't anywhere on my list! only 1 of my prospective medalists did (at least it was the one I think might be gold). the other 3 I had down for those were Stephen Beus (silver) I LOVED HIM OMG! and then I couldn't decide for 3rd between Chetan Tierra (what a beautiful liszt ballade and amazing brahms/paganini!) or Zhang Zuo.

as a side note, Myer wasn't anywhere on my list... what exactly did you like about him?

But yeah... Haochen Zhang, who could possibly have THREE MORE CHANCES at this, above Beus?! it's Beus's last chance! and he was so much better anyway, and has waaaaaaaay more experience.

17. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

Mine too. ;) WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!!! :evil:

Fortunately, I still have favorites in Dank, Vocatello, Deljavan, and Bozhanov in the semis. 8)

18. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    no love for eduard kunz around here? I think he should be a medalist...

19. bclever

bclever New Member

Wow, Vacatello's Scriabin just now was beautiful. She's going to be tough to beat I think.

20. sarah

sarah New Member

Well, congratulations for getting some of the semifinalists right. :D I managed to miss the mark most of the time. Sometimes I don't know what planet the jury comes from. I really liked Tierra as well, and he didn't make it either. I guess the reason I liked Myer is that he could take repertoire that I don't usually care for and mold it into something that really held my interest. No, he's not my top guy, but I liked him anyway. And he was an American... :D I agree with you... Zhang didn't impress me nearly as much as Beus did, yet Zhang got in the semis somehow. I feel very sorry for Beus.

My sentiments exactly... :lol: I'm listening to Vocatello's semifinal recital right now and I really like her. I'd been out and missed her prelims recital. Man, she's good!

I do like him... he seems just a wee bit different to me. I'll warm up to him eventually! :wink: