Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

'The Sea' by Selim Palmgren

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I first heard this when my piano teacher played it for me a couple years ago, and I loved it. However, it seems to be largely forgotten - I have yet to find any information or recordings concerning it online. Information on the composer himself is scarce as well.

This is my first upload so I hope it is successful:

Palmgren - 24 Preludes Op.17 - 12: The Sea

2. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Very well played!

This music sounds to me a little bit like music from Ravel.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Great to see some more Palmgren on the site ! A composer I have a soft spot for. This prelude makes one appreciate why he was called the 'Chopin of the North'.

A very accomplished, steady, and sonorous performance. I could imagine it being a bit more 'feroce' but apart from that, nothing to wish for. The low bass octaves sound very exciting. Is this a digital instrument ?

Welcome to PS with this great recording. I will put it up the site as soon as you provide your personal details. Is there any more Palmgren in the pipeline ?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm very happy you enjoyed it, techneut. I am fairly new to the instrument and my repertoire is rather small, so I'm sorry to report there is no more Palmgren on the way. In fact, this is the only Palmgren piece I know of - could you possible tell me where I could find more of his work?

This piece and a couple others were recorded just yesterday on my piano teacher's 9 foot Baldwin, the bass end of which sounds fantastic (as demonstrated).

I have no time at the moment to write up an autobiography, but I will get on that later tonight, once I read about what is required and where to send it.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fairly new to the instrument :shock: As if we believe that... You must be One Talented Bastard :lol:

Why, that's easy. Just go to http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Palmgren,_Selim
    There's some recordings here on Piano Society too, crummily performed by, ahem, myself.

No hurry. Look at some of the bios here on PS and decide on what suits you.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This one is up the site.

7. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Very well played. This prelude was unknown to me before I heard you play it and I am not very familiar with Palmgren either. But that is one of the many good things about this community. You get to listen to so much music that is not so common in the standard concert repertoire.

8. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Palmgren

I must confess my ignorance of Palmgren. I've never listened to or played any of his music. This piece has a slight hint of pre-impressionism for me. I'm probably quite wrong there. I will go to the site Technut suggested for more info on him. It sounds like you played it very well, but I don't know the piece. I know you play very well from your Rachmaninoff Prelude post. Good job.

I don't know what you mean by being "new to this instrument." Do you mean that particular piano you are playing in this performance? You certainly play as though you have played piano for many years.

9. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Palmgren

Chris, you're wrong. Your Palmgren posts are delightful. They are catchy little pieces that I enjoyed hearing. You played them very well as far as I can tell. I'll look on that site you mentioned. Thanks.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: Palmgren

Well thanks John ! Yes that is a very nice set indeed. I'm not quite happy with my recording of them though. While not really embarrassing, they are rather too full of slips and should definitely have been rehearsed longer. It's so easy to underestimate apparently simple little pieces like this.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any slips you made were not apparent to me on your Palmgren stuff, Chris (I thought they were great), and the wiki site is helpful - I'm particularly interested in the preludes. My sight reading isn't all that fluent though; you wouldn't happen to know of any more recordings? Maybe a CD of his stuff that has been released?

And John, I meant that I have not been playing the piano for very long, so I've only got around to studying a few pieces.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I don't think there are a lot of Palmgren recordings. The late great Moiseiwitch had some pieces in his repertoire (also The Sea, I think), and Japanese pianist Izumi Tateno has recorded a lot of solo works. Apart from those, I don't know.

The Op.17 preludes are a mixed bag. Some stunning items like No.8, No.12 ('The Sea') and No.24 ('The War'), others are mildly interesting or mildly boring like watered-down Grieg or Sibelius. As a whole, not such a convincing set, but a good one to chrry-pick. I don't know much of his other pieces, except the Op.11 Sonata (which is similar to Grieg's but more ambitious) and some assorted items.