DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

The Russians

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jan 11, 2007.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Last post for today. I had not really planned on recording so much again but it went better than I thought. At least these are not redos (sorry PJF - could not resist :p ).

Thanks to the schmontz, I now have Medtner on my todo list as well. This Fairy Tale is an one-take job which came out much better that I had hoped. The Liadov took me about 10 takes and many weeks of preparation. Nasty little bugger it is.

Medtner - Skazki Op.42 - 1: Russian Tale
    Liadov - Mazurka Op.38 in F major

2. schmonz

schmonz Amitai Schlair Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schlair
    First Name:
    Amitai
    Wonderful to hear the "Russian" Skazka. (Funny title, they're all pretty Russian!) Most of the notes are there; I won't niggle about them, except at 2:56 there's a note in the melody played a jarring half-step high. Presumably it bites at your ear as much as it does mine? My rhythmic sense detects a noticeable tempo shift at 1:44; that section with the alternating seconds and thirds is hard to enunciate quickly, but do you have in mind to speed it up? Otherwise very nicely played and IMO close to being publishable. When I eventually record this someday, I may phrase it a little differently. :)

Will be great to have more Medtner up. I've got a friend working on the Op. 20 No. 1 and the Op. 11 No. 2 and we might hope for recordings of him playing those at some point. FYI, the Medtner page needs a "Recordings" section added, too.

I'm familiar with a few other Liadov pieces but not this one. Sounds great!

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes there's some little slips here and there. Not really bad enough for re-recording I thought, althoug it would be nice to have it perfect. But hey, it was a one-take with almost no preparation (I'd only played it two times recently, first time since long).
    That speed romp was intentional, yes. Bit of excitement there.
    I am glad it's close to being publishable, as I have done that already :wink:

4. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Are all your recording sessions done from memory or sight read? This is a "long" piece to have simply layed out on a sheet stand. I can't comment because these are new for me. In fact, I never heard of Liadov or Medtner :x

5. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Chris is a sight read master I beleive..... :lol:

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The only thing I ever recorded from memory was the Chopin Tarentelle. Somehow that had just gotten into my tiny brain... All other stuff recorded from score. For the Liadov I used taped-together copies as the page turns were awkward. Did not bother with that for the Medtner as they were manageable (but I think there's one that can be heard).

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I don't know anything about Medtner, so can't comment on this.

I really liked the Liadov, as I have said about the others you have recorded. I still haven't gotten around to playing any of them - if only there were more hours in the day.

8. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Chris, have you become lazy? Cut out the 11 seconds of you preparing in the beginning in the Liadov recording.

Too little experience with Liadov and Medtner from my side. The Liadov sounds pretty difficult but exciting to play with all these rhythmic changes. I enjoyed listening to it. The Medtner sounded a bit different than other Medtner compositions I have listened to. This is more straightforward both rhytmically and in harmony and did not sound very difficult to play as some other works of his sound. From what I can hear, well done!

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    11 seconds :shock: I must have missed that. Will chop it off right away. Twas worth the wait though, I hope :wink:

These this is one of Medtner's 'easier' pieces. I will work on some of the more difficult stuff but that will take a while.