Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

The Official Game Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by PJF, Apr 5, 2007.

1. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Place #1 - Botany Bay, AU Monica, 1

Place #2 - Isla Maria Madre, MX Julius, 3

Place #3 - Mexico City, MX N/A

Place #4 - Lincoln Sea, GL Monica, 1

Place #5 - Reindeer Island, Manitoba, CA Monica, 1

Place #6 - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA Monica, 1

Place #7 - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CA Monica, 1

Final:
    Monica- - -5
    Julius - - - 3

2. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    PS: Hint #2 was all about the 1953 movie, Botany Bay. Search the movie and you'll understand the hint.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yay!!! :D

Sure gave my Google Earth a workout on this game, Pete! And btw - I figured you had changed the angle on the city pic, but I was looking in the Far East.

As to our next game - Is it ok if I switch back to 'name that tune', instead of 'where in the world'? Or maybe I can do a little of both?

4. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    You can do whatever your heart desires; the only limit is your imagination! :D

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok - I'll come up with something and post it early Wednesday morning (10/1).

6. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Huzzah! :D

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Round ? of the Piano Society Game.

This one has a little of both ‘Where in the World’ and ‘Name that Tune’. There are 8 photos and 6 short piano clips (some will be easy, some will not). The photos relate to the music and if you can match a photo to the music, you will get an extra point. Also, a photo could possibly relate to more than one of the music files.

The music is played by me but I didn’t practice the pieces – just read through them, so they are not that great. One of the pieces is a piano transcription of an aria. Another one is just the left hand part of a certain piece, but I think it is possible to figure out.

Before we start, here is a little gift from me to all you men. (really cracks me up!) (You can thank me for it later.)

Every woman knows that there are days in the month when all a man has to do is open his mouth and he takes his life in his hands! This guide should be as common as a driver’s license in the wallet of every husband, boyfriend, co-worker or significant other!

[​IMG]

Ok, let the game begin!

8. Kschyschtoff

Kschyschtoff New Member

sound engineering
    Ok, let me start :)

Pic 4 is a house, where Mozart was born, in Salzburg.
    Pic 5 is of course Chopin's birthplace, in Zelazowa Wola! Haven't been there for a long time...

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Kschyschtoff - welcome back to the game thread! You are right on these, so 2 points for you.

Regarding Chopin's home - I hope to go there someday...

10. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I know one picture and recording have to deal with Albeniz but I am not exactly sure. My guess would have to be picture #1 judging by the roof color of some of the buildings.

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No Albeniz, but you're in the right area.

As to the other google earth pics; they are very, very logical! You know me, so you know these places.

12. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Pic 7 is of Navy Pier and Monroe Harbor, Chicago. The Chicago River and many other landmarks are pictured.

BTW...I have the flu AGAIN! (I had it just a few months ago.) I started on the anti-viral treatment within one hour of fever onset (I keep a prescription of Tamiflu on hand.)

I was too ill to type yesterday but feel much better already, due to my quick dosing reflexes. :lol: (laughing on the inside)

I'm exhausted from sitting down at my desk, so I'll resume participation in your game tomorrow, M.A.. And I thought my games were long! :roll: :lol:

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    haha - ok, I guess I got carried away. :wink: I've removed half of the piano clips and left just the ones that actually match a picture. (except Chicago - I just liked that one. And Pete gets the point!).

So that means that if you can name the tune, you can also match it to a photo (or two! or three!) for extra points. And a photo can match more than one tune. So now you know that there must be a Mozart piano clip and a Chopin.

Here is your first hint regarding pics: Nathan

Hint regarding music: All my buddies are on the current page of the AR. (except one)

Hope you feel better soon, Pete.

14. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Track 7 is Mozart K. 570, 1st movement. I'll play (badly) the last movement to make myself feel better. If you've never played/heard it, look it up! It's pianistic helium! :lol:

I know I've heard #9 before...something in f minor.

Pic 3 looks an awful lot like I-20 near Shreveport. That's my final answer, Meridith.

Track 10 is a waltz op. post. by Chopin in E-flat

Okay, track 12 is a Beethoven Sonata I learned the last time I had the flu... :shock: The andante of op. 79 (of which the last movement is a transposition of his opus 109's first movement.)

It's amazing how slow time can seem to move when one is achy.

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Mozart – correct
    Chopin posth. Waltz – correct
    Beethoven – correct (Now can you find his house?)
    4 points for you, Pete.

More hints time:

Pic 3 – I should have said before for the hint – Nathan and Pete and Terez. (think of my favorite composer) (also - I don't know the route number. Google doesn't tell me that.)

Two other pics not yet mentioned (#2 and #6) relate to my favorite composer.

One other pic is my other favorite composer, but this pic can also relate to another ‘new’ favorite composer.

Music:
    Track 9 might just be something by my favorite composer. Think I’ll go do my exercises now.
    Track 1 – Last name starts with a G
    Track 11 – Last name starts with an M and he lived close to G.

The only thing I like about the flu is that I usually loose a few pounds.

16. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Pic 8 is Beethoven's house. How could I have missed THAT?!

I mean...there's a poster of it in my house! :lol:

Yes, M, I do already feel better. Fever's gone, food's staying down, asthma's all clear. Despite my legs still feelling like leaden jell-o. I managed a one mile walk today and it felt so good to move around!

(Should be running 3:49 miles before too long.) :lol:

17. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Oh! Track 9 ( I KNEW I heard it many times before (as I'd played it just that way)) It is after the intro, the left hand of Trois Neuvelles Etudes, Nr 1.

I love trick questions.

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Pete, you are correct about pic 8 and track 9, so 2 more points for you! Or actually four more points...at least I think so...can't remember my own rules, now.

And have you not guessed #3 pic? Type in "Chopin" in Google Earth and see what you get. As far as pic #6 - think Paris, France and Chopin. Pic #2 - think Paris, France and Chopin. Pic #1 - think Granados and Mompou. And wouldn't you know, I was just at a tapas restaurant tonight! I ate way too much, though, so I can't wait to run it off in the morning. (Won't be 3.5 miles, though!)

Funny about the poster of Beethoven in your house!

19. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    That's 3:49 miles. 3'49" miles...3 minute, 49 seconds per mile. I was joking because that's how much room for improvement there is in my condition. :lol:

I did manage to walk 3 miles in one hour, today so I can't be that ill.

20. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Pic 6 is the top of the Eiffel Tower.
    Pic 3 is Chopin, Louisiana. I thought it looked familiar. :lol:

OK, I'm tired again

What's the score?