Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

The Nightingale and the Rose

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by richard66, Jul 11, 2012.

1. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    I agree with you there, but I wonder what its real tempo is? It is marked "moderato" and to my mind this is anything but, though the introcduction comes out so much better at this tempo and this is the sort of way it is played, as Andrew noted.

2. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Good.

Why only a day?

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    It will probably be a day-trip out of Rome; by bus or train...we're still finalizing plans. I'll contact you privately when it's getting closer to the day.

4. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    Richard,

Sorry to enter the discussion so late, but you have played this with much more nuance than I have heard before. Cudos! This is a cohesive performance.

I know that for quite a while you were getting frustrated because the lot of us had this criticism and that criticism. But you have listened and found the things that work for you and incorporated them. BTW, I'm not listening with score in hand. I'm the type that I only get the score out when something sounds odd. Even on unfamiliar pieces, if it seems to make sense aurally, I am willing to enjoy it, regardless of errors.

Scott

5. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Thank you, Scott! I believe we all learn. I agree with you: I have one version of this piece for voice and piano and... I prefer my version. The left hand issue I have mastered by not trying to play more lighlty, but simply by knowing how it should sound and trying to achieve that sound.

Even in thisp piece I noticed after that there was one interval (not chord) that could have beed softer, but then I was following the score when it said that the interval should have been accented.

I agree with the score idea: I do the same as you.

Also I changed the microphone position: this seems to produce a fuller sound, while at the same time not being as loud.

6. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Hello Richard,

A very interesting piece. You are able express the melodic line when it is standing alone and when it is richly accompanied. There is no change in intensity throughout save a few dynamic shadings and yet your presentation is interesting. Your expression is very appropriate. This piece has both the East and the West in it and you bring out both quite well.  Thank you for sharing.

Kaila Rochelle

7. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Thank you, Kaila!