DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,015
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

The Haunted House

Discussion in 'Composing' started by pianoman342, Oct 14, 2011.

1. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    I wrote a short piano piece last summer, and practiced it this week. I recorded it at the end of my last recording session and now have put it into a video. I am not at my the computer lab so I cannot edit in final cut, which means I cannot edit videos in HD. Nonetheless, hopefully the music of this piece (and Montella's painting) will conjure an image in your mind of a haunted house in the country hills...

The Video:

http://youtu.be/sdLWsvmrGM8

The Audio:

The soundtrack of the video is the same as the audio.

Hope you can enjoy :lol:

~Riley

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm nor sure of this one to be honest. It seems a bit thin. The main theme, stated twice, has some potential. Then comes what seems like a quote from Despair, played twice, and then a perfunctory ending. Strange structure ! I think you'll need to do a bit more development here.

3. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Considered for an elementary piano student, I think this is all right.

4. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    @ Chris and Eddy thanks for the feedback~

@ Chris

you wrote:

You have noticed the quote from despair! You know my music too well :) --though I will say this quote (in its approximate form) is in g minor this time, not d minor as it sounds in despair. I agree this piece could use more development. I really was shooting for a basic impression, and in the video you see the front of the haunted house, really only a small taste of sorts. More development might mean you would hear some music that would symbolize the house's interior ; creaking floors, howling goblins, squeaking bats and the like :p

@ Eddy

you wrote:

Thanks for listening and the compliment, I have thought about rounding up a bunch of sketches I have written and then self publishing them through amazon. It seems however, (at least from a biz standpoint) that the market is saturated with beginner piano books that presents short easy pieces with little illustrations that capture is some way the mood of a piece. Other books are simply bestsellers for the reason that they have been in the biz for a while (i.e. Alfred's tried-and-true Basic Piano course) I cannot draw such great pictures so I am happier for it to be an avocation then something to sell, an easy way to make gobs of cash.. Not that you were saying this, just something I was thinking.. :roll:

~Riley

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hehe, I would know Despair, having practiced it for months :D

You would not need to make this into Hollywood program music. Probably best to convey a mood/atmosphere than actual 'facts', hint at things rather than spell them out graphically.
    It's just that the structure "a - b - abrupt ending" is IMO not convincing.

6. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Thanks, for the compliment, :) though I assume you are joking? :cry:

You must really be in despair if you cannot find any better pieces to practice than my "despair." :lol:

I was just listening to MacDowell's "Haunted House," from his Op. 61, Fireside Tales. it is decidedly more convincing :D :

http://youtu.be/bqSdiISqxdI

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hehe yes of course. I don't think the whole process took more than half an hour altogether.

Sure I can :D But it's great to record a nice piece without having to work for weeks or months.

And now something completely different. I stumbled on this funny video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ene0Qc75qRU
    You must have some local fame to have a dog named after you :lol:

8. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Chris

Oh, I see!

Of course the hard work pays off if those pieces were written well. For example if I had to listen to a piece and it was between say "after pergolesi" and "despair" I'd choose Hamelin, or should I say Pergolesi. It sounds more complex than my piece and I think you recording though not hamelin's sounds good. I wonder how long it took Hamelin to learn it, his own piece? I don't imagine he sightread it flawlessly :lol:

I watched the video. I've had girls call me cute, but compared to that puppy (or any of the other two), I'm nothin' :p

~Riley