Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

The French Connection

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Apr 7, 2015.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
  2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Long time no hear.
    These are nice. I did not know the Poulenc Nocturnes so can't offer much feedback. I particularly liked No.8, a deep work, the performance was convincing. The other pieces seem to sound a bit 'newly learnt', at least that is my perception. The Ravel Menuet I know well, having submitted it in 2013. Yours is a decent performance if maybe a little on the slow side. I don't understand your shortening of the first beat in bars 6 and 7 and further on (it's less pronounced in the reprise). Is that a deliberate style figure or an unconscious thingy ?

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening!
    Most likely it will be even longer before I will be heard from again, so get your digs in now.... :)

I didn't remember that you had also recorded the Ravel. I have not listened to anyone else play it, so I simply played it the way I like it to go. However, I don't understand what you're talking about regarding the shortening of the first beat in bars 6 and 7 of the Ravel. I think I'm getting 3 beats in every bar. :?

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Strange that you don't hear it. Just tap along with yourself and notice that in these bars you run ahead. But if this is the way you like it and want it to be, that is fine of course.

5. MarkieUK

MarkieUK Member Piano Society Artist

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    I listened to the Ravel. It's a piece I'd like to learn myself one day. Sounds nice and sonorous on your piano. I like the expression and the way you use rubato to push forwards in sections of the music. Do you think una corda may help in the pp section at the end to get that part even softer and make more of a contrast?

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I still don’t hear what you’re hearing. Maybe it’s a case of particle displacement and the speed of sound????

Thank you for listening! I did use the una corda pedal a couple lines up from the end. I'm not looking at the score right now, but I don't remember seeing the ending marked pp. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

7. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Nice playing and the piano sounds good. I did spot the truncation of the beats in the Ravel but didn't find it particularly obtrusive. I think some parts of Minstrels could do with a slightly lighter touch, but I enjoyed all the pieces. I've not heard the Poulenc before. but well worth hearing.

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening! I'm glad you mentioned that my piano sounds good. I am back to using minimal editing effects. I guess in the past I've gone overboard at times... :oops:

9. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Hi Monica,

You do a really good job with Minstrels. The playing has both the melodic and the percussive elements very well articulated.

The Poulenc Nocturne in E-flat sounds like a movie score. You did a very professional job.

The Nocturne in G major sounds more classical than the one in E-flat. It seems like something in akin to Schubert with
    a twist of harmony and chord progressions that is more jazz like. The mood is often Brahms like.
    Monica, you did a really beautiful job with the character of this piece.

The Ravel piece is played with a very glowing tone.

Thank you for sharing,

Kaila

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Kaila,

Thank you very much for your kind words!

How have you been? Hope you are playing a lot of piano! :)

11. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Through speakers, as usual.
    I spent so much time on the Minstrels that I could not listen to the others yet.
    I played this when I was younger and did not remember much of it the way you played it, so I dug out the score and did some studying. Lo and behold, I found that your rendition is much closer to the composer's intention than mine was, and is more enjoyable as well. Also, it's a deceptively tricky piece and your recording is very accurate.
    Andrew has a point on lightness; I could add the adjective 'playful'.

My one complaint: five measures from the end there is a marking indicating an increase in tempo ("plus allant"), but in this instance you don't pick it up (although you do this 2 measures later at the "Serrez"). A pickup here could send the listener to the end a little happier.

Also, my edition (Dover 1989, which is copied from editing by K.S. Korokin, whoever that was) has a breath marked before the last two chords. This can give the ending even a little more pizazz. I honestly don't know if marks like that are in the urtext.

BTW: I thought I would compare this to other recordings of the piece on our site and was surprised to find that yours is the first. Thanks for filling a slot that really needed filled - I believe that Debussy's Preludes are pretty popular. (At least they were when I was young.)

12. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Decided to juggle my schedule and listen to the Poulence now instead of later. They're both gorgeous, and the piano does sound good.
    I know Poulenc's solo works only from this site, so have nothing else to add.
    P.S. As usual, I listened to the MP3s through speakers.

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Stu!

I'll definitely check out those markings in the score that you mentioned. I do tend to miss some even if they're right in front of my nose! :oops:

I was also surprised we didn't already have a recording of Minstrels. Just checked, and we're still missing a few preludes. We should all collaborate again and try to get the missing ones up on the site.

I'm glad you liked the Poulenc too!!

14. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    I thought I commented on these but apparently not. These are very nice with amazing tonal control, very enjoyable. For some reason I liked the Poulenc G major best, the expression is extremely convincing. The only one I have played is Minstrels, and you do a nice job of articulating it. My take would perhaps inject a bit more drama in it, especially since it is the last of the set, but this of course is very personal. I always thought these minstrels are not quite sober and that anger can flash out briefly. You keep them well in hand and play it safe - not at all a bad choice, all details are heard cleanly.

Joachim

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening and commenting, Joachim! Maybe my minstrels have only just started their happy hour and the liquor hasn't kicked in yet..... :)

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Haha, just wait until they get truly plastered and scampering all over the place :)

17. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hi Monica,
    Your French connection has just been played in a French lounge, heard by two French people (my wife and I). We had good time thanks to you ! We particularly liked your Poulenc. My wife could even take the Nocturnes and play them (she is a Poulenc's lover, but she did not know these pieces to date). Congratulations for your calm, clean and tastefull playing (as usual)!

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello Francois,
    I've always wanted to play in a French lounge. :)

Thank you for listening!

19. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

I listened to the two Poulenc Nocturnes and enjoyed both. They are at times a bit like Faure, but also different. I like the way you brought out the rich harmonies in this music. Very nice recordings.

David

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi David,

I know what you mean about the nocturnes sometimes sounding like Faure. I'm still really into French music (still working on some Ravel), although I do miss some of the Spanish repertoire I used to play often. There just aren't enough hours in the day!

Thank you for listening!! :)