DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

The Composers and Politics

Discussion in 'General' started by chopinman0901, Jun 3, 2008.

1. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

I was just wondering what the political stances of the composers were. I'd love if anyone could list some composers and explain what ideologies they favored, where they lie in the political spectrum, etc. I really like music (obviously) and politics, and I'm interested in seeing the composers views. If you find a website with information too, that would be great!

I'd be interested in seeing the political views of any classical composer, but I'd probably most like to see where my favorites (Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Ravel, Faure, Medtner, Gershwin, Poulenc, and Granados) stand. Thanks!!

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It's probably different for contemporary composers, as in this Google/Wikipedia age everybody has a view about everything, but I think very few composers from the past, if any, had any outspoken political stances. Most just wanted nothing else than do their job and stay at peace with the powers that be. The occasional statements by a Beethoven or Chopin were more of a moral outcry than motivated by politics. Several German composers flirted with the Nazis but in nearly all cases it was a token gesture rather than real involvement or even sympathy. Shostakovich detested the Stalinst oppression and terror, ans continuously made subversive musical statement, but he had to please the party regularly if only to save his skin. Probably, communism is the only political format that has a lasting impression on composers.