DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Tempo?

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by John Robson, Jul 17, 2007.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    I sometimes have trouble deciding the appropriate tempo of pieces which have no metronome indication. For example, "andante" can mean from 76 ot 109 according to the metronome markings I now have. However, in 6/8 or 3/4 time, does andante generally mean per quarter or eighth note respectively or does it mean per dotted quarter or per dotted half? Before I got this new metronome, I always "erroneously" thought that andante meant around 60. Any thoughts?

2. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Andante means "with movement" or "moving". The right tempo would be one that facilitates a smoothly flowing, but not hastened melody. As far as exact beats per minute, depending a lot on the style of the music, the period and the composer, andante can be anything from <60 to 90>. Words that indicate tempo are highly subjective. The performer uses what knowledge he has about music in general (along with good ol' fashioned intuition) to arrive at a final tempo.

Of course, that depends on what the definition of final is. :lol:

Pete