Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Tea Time

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jul 5, 2009.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    You may ask, why the silly title ? Only because todays composer's names both start with T. That is all they have in common, they could in fact hardly be further apart. The 1st Telemann is a redo of friday's first version, now without slip and alleged page turn. The Tveitt no.30 has a few added dissonants :wink:

Telemann - 36 Fantasias - 1: Allegro ( 2:59 )
    Telemann - 36 Fantasias - 2: Presto ( 3:59 )
    Telemann - 36 Fantasias - 3: Vivace ( 4:37 )

Tveitt - 50 Hardanger Tunes - 23: An old Mountain Cabin ( 2:28 )
    Tveitt - 50 Hardanger Tunes - 35: The Fairy Hill ( 2:09 )
    Tveitt - 50 Hardanger Tunes - 30: Fire in the Beard ( 1:16 )

2. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Piano Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Muller
    First Name:
    Nichole
    Damn. I was hoping for a piano version of "Tea for Two".

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sorry to disappoint !

4. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    i beg to differ; quite entertaining. thanks.

5. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Dear Chris, During the period of Rameau aund Couperin it was quite usual to write music
    "pour le souper du Roy", so why not put together pieces for 'tea time'? I found the 3 fantasias by telemann well chosen: vivid, lively and crisp, light as tea in the afternoon ,played in a precise and decided manner. Very original then the three hardanger tunes by Tveitt, whom I have not come across so far. Light and fresh especially the third one. I found it very interesting to listen to.
    Best wishes as ususal Francois Let me add a short remark, I was operated on in hospital on the prostata, I went the way of all old men. Last week I was released.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks you Francois, I'm glad you enjoyed these. Also that your operation went well.
    Telemann might not have been a terribly original composer, Tveitt certainly was.

BTW - I'm still working on your Late Intermezzi - but taking my time. I still like them !

7. timmyab

timmyab New Member

I've always had a soft spot for Telemann, although I've hardly played any, it's so full of joie de vivre.You do an excellent job of conveying that feeling here.Nice precise finger work in the allegro sections.My main criticism is that the slower interludes don't seem so convincing somehow.Maybe they'd sound better with some pedal or is that heresy? :lol: .
    I've never heard of Tveit and I can't say that I'm particularly struck by these pieces except that I did like the ending of "Fire in the Beard".

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not heresy, and I think I do use some pedal. Actually to be honest, there's not very much to these rather perfunctory interludes. They seem like typical baroque recitatives, and I'm not sure how I could make more of them.

Not everybody has the Tveitt bug like I do. For most people here this music seems of no more than passing interest. I guess my ongoing cycle is a labour of love.

9. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo Chris,
    the Telemann-pieces sound perfectly to me now! :D

The Tveitt is interesting and very individual. I like this composer and it´s your merrit, that we all can meet him here. Your performance sounds very well to me.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for that. I would not say any of these are perfect (eg some trills in the Telemanns are not) but at least they are note-perfect. The Tveitts are, too, except for one strange chord in Fire in the beard which I don't seem to be able to get right. Ah well, strange sounds in Tveitt are quite normal :wink:

11. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    techneut wrote:
    Right, that´s what I meant here. All the matters of interpretation can be changed (and sometimes also improved) generally. A true "perfection" in this area in an absolute and objective sense isn´t possible IMO, only subjectively you can feel to be an interpretation as "perfect".

12. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    I listened to the first of the Telemann Fantasias and to all three of the Tveitt. I did not find the Telemann too interesting (not your fault!) but maybe it's just that I need more acquaintance with this music. Is it written out completely or, as in the case of some of Handel's music, in places more sketch-like where you need to "fill in" the material?

The Tveitt was interesting - my first (but not last, I hope) encounter with this composer. I enjoyed these pieces. It sounds like they are based on folk music material? At the same time this is transformed into a modern idiom and the textures are polyphonic in a number of places. I think you brought the lines out quite well, for example in the first piece. Thanks for sharing this interesting music - of three piano repertoire books that I quickly checked only Maurice Hinson briefly mentions number 50 of this set with the brief characterization "full chords, repeated notes, clusters". Sounds interesting, doesn't it?!

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nope, very interesting these are not, but charming trifles all the same.

I'm glad somebody else likes this music. Tveitt was not unlike Bartok in his folk music efforts. He collected and catalogued, and even lived among the rural people for many years. His arrangements can be very fanciful, even outrageous at times, on texts that range from the banal to the sublime. Yes the last one, no.50, is interesting, ending with a couple of crashing fore-arm clusters (as this song was supposed to end with something breaking). The repeated notes are still giving me some grief. In the orchestral version (checkout the two Naxos CD's) this one whips up to an almost orgasmic climax.

Thanks for the feedback ! I have about 15 items to go before completing this Hardanger Tunes set.

14. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Thanks for that Tveitt information, Chris. I'll check out these CDs and more Tveitt. Actually, I was thinking of Bartok while listening but forget to mention it, because he also was able to combine folk material with a thoroughly personal idiom. It's interesting to compare this with somebody from a very different geographic region.

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    And don't forget the two Naxos CD's with his piano concerti and Hardanger Variations for 2 pianos. The first piano concerto is an absolute charmer, and had me hooked on Tveitt right from the first bars. Seldom can an Op.1 be so totally accomplished, convincing and 'just right'.