Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Tchaikovsky - The Seasons: March

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by alf, Mar 13, 2009.

1. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn´t you sell your bed or your dining-table for to make a bit place for a grand?! It´s also nice to sleep under a grand f.ex., so you´ll think always on music. :lol: That´s really an interesting site. I have bought my Grotrian-Steinweg in 2005 or 2006, would have to ask my wife. Before I had a Kawai GS 60 (length, 2.06m), which was a very good instrument, but not as good as the Grotrian. It was an opportunity. My tuner said, there is an old lady, her husband has died, who played on the grand, and now she would like to sell the Grotrian. So, I sold my Kawai on Ebay and found a japanese buyer, who lived in Poland. (It was really an adventure for me. He came with a car and an adherer and took my Kawai with him. Before he played on it and I have to say, he was a good pianist. He gave me also a CD of him.) I sold my Kawai for 11000 Euro and bought the Grotrian for 14000 Euro, which is really a very good price for this precious instrument. It has a length of 2, 26m and was built in 1980. My tuner has put on new felts two years ago on the hammers and now it sounds like new from my view. I´m very happy with this intrument.
    So, you could look also on Ebay, if you like. I wish you much success and that you´ll find an instrument, you´ll be happy with.

2. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    The young Sviatoslav Richter used to sleep under his teacher's grand (he was in Moscow alone, at that time, far from his family). But I don't think my wife would be particularly excited at the idea of selling the furniture to make room to a piano. :lol:

Thank you. Yes a private seller can be a solution, but I couldn't think to make an offer without trying the piano before and this is not always practical.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Technically, you can also 'eat' on a grand piano. Just close it up, put a table cloth over it, and there is your dining table! So you get a dining table, bed and piano all in one. Very practical, if you ask me.
    Maybe this can help clear the way with your Monica? :wink:

4. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Most probably to clear out... :lol:

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    :lol: :lol:

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    To "clear the way" is a bit unclear for me to understand. :oops: I found "to clear the way for", but not "with" someone. It´s that, what you meant, Monica? Let me try to say something in English: I love word-games, because I like also to play with pianos, mainly not while eating (on) them :lol: , and also to play with and for some nice words, but in English the way seems not be cleared for me. (Phew, now I´m totally confused.) :? :lol:

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    So am I. :lol:

What I meant was that if Alfonso tells Monica that purchasing a grand piano is practical because of those other uses, then Monica will say 'ok' and allow him to do so. Therefore the 'way is clear' of any obstructions or objections. Is that clear now? :wink: :lol:

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    So clear as clearness can be. Thank you. :D :lol:

9. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    It seems this thread has evolved into a compendium of things you can do with, under, or on top of grand pianos, besides the "classical" use. Depending on the skills and taste of your wife here is another one... :wink: Although to be serious maybe she could practice this stunt on your digital so you can open the lid of your grand while practicing on it :)

Now to be really serious, Alfonso, I am amazed like several others on what a range of colors a skilled pianist can evoke from a digital (I think this was the starting point for the amusing digression of the thread). It is a beautifully melancholic March indeed!

Btw, many thanks for your comments in the Kupelwieser thread (I'm not bringing it up again now since I missed it several days), especially the reference to the book. I did not know that Demus was the first pianist to play this in public only in 1956.

10. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    The MP8 stage piano has one of the best "action" available today among digital pianos. That means that I can actually work out what I have imagined in the first place (interpretative-wise). Unfortunately the sound is pure Kawai, and it is pretty awful (to my ear). In the past I've experimented with different options (PianoTeq and piano libraries like Ivory or Galaxy) but I didn't manage to make out a case for switching to a rendered piano. Somehow those libraries (or PT physical model) tend to flatten all the nuances I'd otherwise produce directly with the MP8 sounds.

11. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    When I practice late, I use an MP9500 - the predecessor of your MP8 I think. I also tested quite a lot of different digitals (and I wanted a portable one to take along on trips) and found this had one of the best actions. I think this [http://avant-grand.com/] will be a major step forward in terms of digitals getting more realistic to play. Of course it's not portable at all and it's the price tag of a good acoustic piano. But still, it would be wonderful to have for late practice sessions....

12. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alfonso,

As we gaze at the calendar, April approaches--my month!

David :D

13. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Hehe, a few more hours to shape it up and you'll have it. In the past 2 months I've been working on a selection of Lyric Pieces, the perfect companions to the Seasons. So I'm going to submit "April" the next week and the Grieg (some of which I've already recorded) along the month.

14. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    That Yamaha appears to be the next generation digital piano. Bösendorfer has one very similar, but much more expensive and addressed to a different target I think (since it's portable, at least in the company's view :roll: ):

[​IMG]

15. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alfonso,

Looking forward to it! :)

David

16. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Rachfan wrote:
    Me, too! :D

17. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Me three!! :D :D

18. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Juufa72 wrote:
    So, as fourth at this place I should have written: me, two, isn´t it? :wink: :lol:

19. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    That's what we, English speakers, call a pun. Too and Two sound the same. :D