Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Tchaikovsky - The Seasons: March

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by alf, Mar 13, 2009.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    March: Song of the Lark

The field shimmering with flowers,
    the stars swirling in the heavens,
    the song of the lark
    fills the blue abyss.

(Apollon Maykov)

Here the fields are still bare brown and the only bird singing, at dawn, is the blackbird. (Should I switch to Messiaen?!)

Tchaikovsky - The Seasons: March - Song of the lark

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Too bad Kirkegaard wasn't a composer, then your pouting would fit well with his ideology :wink: :roll:

To my amateur ears this recording sounded swell.

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alfonso,

Your rendition of March is lovely. It captures the remaining melancholy of winter, but with the hope of the not too distant spring. Well done! You're truly setting a standard as to how these pieces should be played.

But no... you cannot switch to Messiaen, not yet! "April" is the very next piece, which is the most important of all these works by Tchaikovsky. If you wonder how that could be, the answer lies here:

http://pianosociety.com/members/rachfan.4198

David :)

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Nice and melancholy. I can almost hear the last of the snow melting away. Everything is still brown where I live too. But I hear the robins in the mornings, now. That's a good sign.

This is up.

5. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thanks David, then my Snowdrop will be "David gewidmet"!

And thanks to you too, Monica.

Juufa, your remark about Kierkegaard and the pouting is strikingly odd but very clever.

6. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Then Gewidmet it is! :lol:

7. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    *sigh* so pretty .... and on such an icky day here in louisiana. Your mirrored motifs were simply flawless! Bravo.

8. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thanks Nathan.

9. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Alfonso,
    this one is as masterly played as your other recordings of this serie! David is right, you are setting a high-quality-standard for this serie here.
    I like your phrasings, dynamics and agogics, which always are evident of a natural and good taste. Your interpretations have a very musical and soulful breath. All main-melodies come out very well and the ppp at the end is a truely master-work IMO. (It´s really amazing, that one can do such good dynamic differentiations on an e-piano. May be we should sell all our old-fashioned grands an accoustic pianos and buy an e-piano. :wink: :lol: )

10. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Seniore Alfonzo, very poetic indeed! Early spring sounds unmistakable. You have chosen a nostalgic flavor to the "sound" for the recording which compliments the piece, even on an electronic piano. I also happen to like dark, lush, syrupy and phat sounding recordings to a piece such as this. It is perhaps a matter of taste or personal choice as to what type of "sound" may be befitting for this kind of piece, but I have found that adagio movements of early Romantic composers, like Beethoven or Schubert, can also sound very effective through this kind of deep and rich presentation. It blends the sound together; it's the glue that makes the music sound cohesive, organic, and natural to the listener.

This is reminiscent of rare vintage recording equipment, which is ironically, in more demand today then yesteryear. If you happen to like the dark, phat, lush, and syrupy texture to the sound, and if you are ever in a studio setting, record the same piece on a rare vintage tube microphone, such as a Neumann M49 or Telefunken. I would assume these marks would be more plentiful in Europe than here in the U.S.A. Good luck recording!

April is around the corner!

11. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thank you, Andreas, playing a digital piano may have some tiny advantages, but for sure too many drawbacks, not the least of which is that I'll have to re-learn from scratch to play a grand when I buy one. And by the way, watch out, because I could take you seriously and do swap my toy piano for your GS! :p

12. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thank you George, I avidly read what you and others here write about recording gears and techniques. I've never been especially interested in this topic, but heard the excellent sonic results that a few of the PS pianists have achieved so far, I am starting to believe that if one is serious about piano playing sooner or later a decent recording equipment must be added to the pipeline. But in my case, since I still play a digital piano, there's not even a pipeline! :roll:

Yes, I know, he often takes part in AR. :lol: (Hi, David!)

13. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    Do you plan to buy a true grand-piano? I think, if I consider the high quality of your playing and your grand pianistic capabilities, you would deserve a good (or better a very good) grand-piano.
    (May be I would do a swap with you, if you buy a Steinway D or so... :p )

14. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    [​IMG] Funny!

15. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I currently live in a small apartment and a grand, even a baby grand, is not an option. But I constantly have my eye on sites like this one and when the right moment comes I'll be ready. 8)

And, this will make you proud, I have a fondness for German pianos (provided that Faziolis are too expensive for my not deep pockets, and second-hand ones are still pricey and very rare to find, since the owners seldom want to part with them).

16. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    what does AR stand for?

Alf, buy the 1842 Pleyel :wink:

17. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, look at all those beautiful pianos! I'll take the Fazioli. And Alfonso, since you like German pianos, I wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between a German Steinway and an American Steinway just by looking at them? (same size/color/style)

18. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Audition Room :!:

That is more a grand for collectors or HIP pianists than an instrument for everyday's study.

19. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I had to google a bit and found this and this. At the first linked page you'll find an interesting video featuring Emanuel Ax's insightful take on the topic (more on sound than appearance, though).

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes – it’s the shape of the arms that I was driving at. But I didn’t know about the color of the inside rim being different, as well. That’s interesting. Also, I’ve been doing a lot of reading on pianos lately, and learned about the two actions which Steinway uses in both pianos. I do wish I could test out both kinds for myself. Trills in particular would be my way of testing the actions. As far as the sound between the two, I’d also love to hear the difference in the way the hammers are made in a side-by-side test.

But I do understand exactly what Ax said about pianos sounding different based on the individual piano, not where they were made. Every piano has a ‘personality’. I learned this when I was purchasing my Yamaha and had a choice of ten pianos. Yamaha is known for having great quality-control and precision-making in their factory, thereby producing identical pianos. Except that as I went down the row and played each piano, I could hear that they each sounded different from one another, and I chose the one that best suited my ear.