Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Tchaikovsky - The Seasons: February

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by alf, Feb 20, 2009.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Electronics

Thanks for the info, Alf. Every piece I've heard you play is almost perfection as far as I'm concerned. You know what made me begin to wonder? You executed the trill in Shostakovich, Op.34, No. 10 so perfectly while playing the melody with the same hand. I've tried it, and it's impossible for me to do. I congratulate you.

2. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    What's your sample? The Italian teenagers roaming Amsterdam? :lol:

Brilliant move (especially because I didn't get it).

3. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Re: Electronics

Believe me, John, my playing is far from being "perfect", even only from a technical standpoint. That trill is not perfect, it's just passable. And all of us have strong points as well as weak ones. For instance, I have a good finger indipendence (the Bach diet!), but I suck in jumps and arm movements in general. And by the way I'm currently struggle through that Shostakovich Prelude you left to me. Now I'm at 144 bpm (I work on it 15 minutes a day, not every day). Perseverance pays off even more than talent.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Re: Tchaikovsky

Alf wrote:
    Very interesting. I have listened to some of his recordings of WTCI. Is he still a current member of this site?

Very interesting. I see, that we work quite similar, only that I don´t record with a digital piano. I´m not a friend of MIDI, because this sound is too artificial. I have tried piano-samples of Steinway and Bösendorfer of Native-instruments. They are quite good, but with my MIDI-keyboard (Fatar-Masterkeyboard, Studio 900) I can not make the dynamic differenciations, which I can do on my real grand-piano.

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alfonso,

Impressive! Sounded like flawless and brilliant playing to me. Doing this wonderful set, you've been studying "with Tchaikovsky" for awhile now, and I must assume you're getting a lot out of it beyond the pure enjoyment, yes?

David

6. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thank you David and sorry, I didn't see your post. So, to answer your question, yes I'm getting a lot out of it. My first and only encounter with Tchaikovsky before, as a player, was his "Lied der Mignon" (for a liederabend). Honestly, I've always been suspicious of his music, but of course it was just me who had no idea about how to deal with it. Don't know now, but I'm learning and I feel a bit more secure. I've recently looked at some of the many other piano sets he composed and I think that The Seasons are certainly the most approachable, from a musical content standpoint - I mean they are easier to understand and to render compared to other sets like for instance Op.19 or 72.

7. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    The person wouldn't stand out in an italian crowd as far as I am concerned :lol: