Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Tchaikovsky - The Seasons: August

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by alf, Aug 25, 2009.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Same problem here, so I don't think it's just your computer. :wink:
    Chris, I've uploaded my original file, in case you deleted my previous submission.

It's difficult to give tips, it depends on which features you regard as the most important for you. For me they were polyphony, a wooden keyboard, and the most precise responsiveness. I found all of those in the Kawai MP8. As a portable stage piano, MP8 has also the advantage of a wider second-hand market and was a bit less expensive than its closest option (CA71). Its most serious drawbacks are: it needs external amplified speakers; it doesn't have an internal record function; it doesn't have the middle pedal. But I don't want to talk you into buying an MP8 (by the way, there's a better version now: MP8-II). So, my only suggestion is: don't make a decision in a hurry, take all the time you need when testing the pianos, then let some days pass by, and finally decide. I wish you luck, Hye-Jin!

Tchaikovsky - The Seasons, Op.37b - 8: August (Harvest Song)( 3:34 )

2. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thank you Alfonso for your precious tips!! MP8II is certainly a good alternative to one of the CA series, but the difference of price to the CA 71 would be counteracted by the price for purchasing stander, case and the external speakers. What do you think about that? And can I connect every sort of speakers to the stage piano, or are there certain sorts of them? Do you use external speakers, too?

And about your recording: To my pity I cannot say but this is an excellent playing again :wink:

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I put the second uploaded file on the site and now it plays ok, at least for me.

4. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    It's OK here too.

5. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    You're right, of course, I had to buy a stand, but I didn't need a case and already had the speakers. You can connect whatever speakers you like, provided that they are "active" (amplified, that is) and with enough power (60W per channel, at least). I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5 monitor speakers and they are connected to the MP8 via my home PC's external audio interface (a Tascam US-122L).

6. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Have many thanks for your kind reply, Alfonso!
    Finally I've been in a piano store (the only store in this region which has Kawai digitals) on the Tueday, but they don't MP8-II, so I couldn't even see that :(
    I tested CA 51, 71 and YAMAHA CLP 370. Only those three came into question, because their price is around my budget (so, because of the price for good speakers and etc. I can't afford MP8) and they have wooden keys. The YAMAHA was quickly disqualified because of its weak key-mechanics. According to your advice I didn't want to make a decision in a hurry, but anyhow I couldn't decide between the two models. The following points are what I caught through the testing:
    (1) The most important difference between them is the max. polyphony number that you mentioned, Alfonso. Do you think the 96 polyphony (at the CA 51) is not enough for my purpose (for playing classical repertoires):?: (2) The second diffenrence is the sound system. CA51 has 4 speakers, while CA71 has 6, that makes the sound richer, but compared to the "real" grands besides them the difference seemed to be not so much. (3) The third one is about the variety of piano sound. CA71 has one more, the Concert Grand 2. (4) Because of these three points I almost decided for CA 71 (in spite of the 400 Euro price difference), but I found something on the by me tested CA 71 which is to me really unacceptable. That was nearly dissonance-like exaggerated side tones, which is heard from pressing a single tone in the treble. (That was noticed by me the first time as I played on it bar 28 from Scriabin's second sonata Andante and was confirmed as I played the first note in bar 309 from Chopin's second Scherzo.)
    At first I nearly thought this instrument needs tuning! I told the piano technician in the store about that, he said the sampling comes from a large grand, so that is natural. But I cannot agree because the real grands in that store and the grands which I experienced so far don't give such unnatural and exccesive effect in the treble and because on the CA 51 I cannot find such thing (this is the case not only with a headphone but also without).
    So I'd like to ask you whether you experienced such a problem on a digital, too, or your MP8 has the same thing :?:
    (And excuse me for these OT questions which became not unusual of me :roll: :lol: )

7. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I'll answer shortly:
    1. MP8 has a 192 note polyphony. I strongly believe that 96 is too little, especially if you play romantic and modern music.
    2. I agree, you can hear the difference, but it's not so important (IMO).
    3. If you are like me, you'll like one and use it, ignoring the other ones (I made experiments with the other piano samples but I still prefer the CG1).
    4. I didn't notice anything like that (even though I expect CA71 should have the the same samples as the MP8). I am quite sure that on CA71 you can modify the tuning. Check it out.

If you can spare those 400 EUR, I think that you should go for the CA71.

Hope to be helpful.

8. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thank you Alfonso! It's very helpful as always :D :D

9. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I see in the other thread that you're going to buy the CA71. Hope to listen soon to new recordings from you!

10. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Dear Alfonso,
    This comment comes well after your submission. Actually, I am organising a concert at home where a pianist of my friends will play the Seasons (+ all the Images from Debussy). Since I did not know the Seasons, I have downloaded your integral, and I have listened it several times, during long nights where I could not sleep. Indeed, this is great music and great interpretation. I did not follow the score, so I cannot tell anything about exactitude and fidelity to the composer's will. But what I can say is that it sounds really profesionnal (in spite of the E-piano sound, but it is quickly forgotten): great singing, equilibrium between voices, poetry, all what I like in a piano rendition. If you ever buy a good acoustic piano, then nobody will dare to submit anything more to PS... Sometimes, I have doubts about this PS project (to post amateurs average recordings, when you can listen many professional on Deezer or other sites). But here, this brings back enthusiasm: yes amateurs can really approach the best level, and the generosity of giving freely such good music to the world is worth considering ! Congratulations and many thanks.

11. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Sorry for my late reply, François, and thank you very very much for your kind words. The Seasons has been for me a happy introduction to Tchaikovsky piano music, which I've always found hostile and of little interest. But they grew so much on me that now I'm considering to learn some more pieces from Opp.72 and 19. We'll see. As usual, so many wishes and so little time. Good luck to your friend for your in-home concert -nice program!