DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

T.Betting - Recognizing the piano

Discussion in 'The Piano' started by t.betting, Mar 4, 2016.

1. t.betting

t.betting New Member

Last Name:
    P.
    First Name:
    Lena
    Hello,
    I would like to know the overall members opinion about the vintage piano T.Betting, see the photos attached. IMG_1353.jpg IMG_1354.jpg IMG_1355.jpg IMG_1357.jpg IMG_1359.jpg

Our family owns this piano for long years as a family heritage and I am curious to know about it better. As far as we know it is manufactured in 1901 or 1905 and it is told that it is special model for public concerts (it really sounds loud – much louder as ordinary pianos does). The legend is that this model pianos are manufactured in 7 pieces only. Can this be true?

Also I am wondering if it has some commercial value? It has most of the original details, however some strings are replaced as old ones were broken. Also notice the pearl incrustation at the logo T.Betting and ivory keys – those are all original.

In case if for recognizing you need more photos of specific parts of piano, please let me know and I will post them.

Thank you very much for your opinions!
    Lena

2. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    It looks like an attractive and well-preserved piano (with three pedals - unusual for an upright). There are two question marks over commercial value though - a) without hearing it, it's not possible to assess how good a piano it is: issues like tuning, evenness of action, wear on the hammers would affect this. b) it's not a name brand and that is likely to reduce resale value. You could ask a piano dealer, though whatever they quote you is obviously going to be on the cheap side of its actual worth.

3. Cynthia Myra

Cynthia Myra New Member

Last Name:
    Cynthia
    First Name:
    Myra
    Thanks for sharing the post. Truly enjoyed the pics :)