DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

Szymanowski - Sonata no. 1, op. 8

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by Chopinesque, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    Hello,

I'm thinking of learning the first movement of Szymanowski's Piano Sonata no. 1. It looks very difficult and is not a very popular choice (I think it's regarded as a rather academic composition). I would love to hear your views if you have performed this piece.

Thanks

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is one belter of a piece ! And don't think it is even half as hard as the 2nd Sonata. Well worth the considerable effort, I think, if you're drawn to it (which I guess you are, or you would not even contemplate doing it). It does not seem academic to me, more like full-blooded - if a little overblown - late romantic with all the right examples (Liszt, Chopin, Brahms, Strauss).

3. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    Yes, it is awfully difficult. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to learn it (I'm still on page 1). If there's not much progress in the next few days I'll give it up. Thanks.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sure, don't be a nut about success. If you don't succeed at first, give up :p
    Seriously, if you really really want to play a piece, compulsively so, you can do more than you think. It will take time, and require much persistance and hard work. Not sure if this is one of these pieces though. You have to be in love with it.