Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Suk - Episodes

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jul 19, 2015.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Nice music, and you are right, they work well as a set. I confess I did not quite understand the Christmas Day, perhaps there are hidden depths there and perhaps my attention wandered. The Andante is really charming though and you bring out the polyphony in a clear and relaxed way. Also the Polka is great fun though I did not understand the rhythm changes in the part after 2.10 - suddenly there is a lot of hesitation and uncertainty in a music that till then is quite straightforward. The Album leaf would perhaps be more interesting at a slightly faster tempo - I find it hard to keep concentration on too slow meanderings, but perhaps that is just me. In all well done!

Joachim

3. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Ditto most of Joachim's comment.

The Album Leaf had its moments, but one had to get through the first minute which does not seem to have a point. From 1:00-2:00 and then after 3:00 there is some good listening.

As far as "Christmas Day" is concerned, I decided to not read anything into the title and listen to it as simple mood music and it worked, although there is a startling chord at 1:06-07 that is not convincing.

The Andante was my favorite, and I agree that you played this particularly well.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, Stu and Joachim. The Andante is surely the most consistently pleasing of the set. Though I love the typical Suk quirkiness of the other items too. Suk never quite does what you would expect. And sometimes his music is far harder to p[lay than it sounds. This perky little Ella-Polka has cost me a lot of effort
    to get halfway decent.