DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Suite For Piano And Grand Orchestra

Discussion in 'Composing' started by Victor Atanasov, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Victor Atanasov

Victor Atanasov New Member

Hi guys!

New to the forum!Wanted to share some of my music with you,here are links to the 3 parts of my 'Bulgarian Suite' for Piano and Grand Orchestra in F sharp Minor that is getting published!Would love to hear your thoughts about the piece,here are the links:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGxDlNDA14

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_pFw6vLNt4

Part 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGxDlNDA14

I also uploaded some more of my works!Would be really glad to hear your thoughts/critics about my music,would really appreciate it,thanks!Here's the link to listen to the music:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAtanasov1 ... bGxDlNDA14

2. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Victor,
    I listened to the first part. I have to tell you that if there's one thing I like even less than digital piano sounds, it's electronic orchestral sounds. It makes it difficult for me to listen, and difficult to understand your intended orchestration. Formally, I found the movement to be too sectioned. It became very predictable when the texture or dynamic or thematic material was going to change. Lastly, I really longed for a leading-tone! You know, the only difference between F# minor and A Major, is the use of E# rather than E. I understand that you wanted the work in F# natural minor (aeolian mode), but I just felt like I missed the power of a genuine dominant chord. Sorry to be critical. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of background and training do you have?

Regards,
    Eddy

3. Victor Atanasov

Thanks for the comment Eddy,appreciate your critic,don't mind it at all,that's why I placed the music in here for.The structure of these particular pieces is influenced by the structure of bulgarian national folklore,which is quite different and unique I think.Didn't want to follow the common 'laws' in music,wanted to experiment more with the harmonies.Thanks again for the comment Eddy.

I'm a student at the music conservatoire with piano,studying composition as well.

4. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Castanello
    First Name:
    Jennifer
    Hi Victor,

I am a composer too and i have to tell you that I liked your music very much. I actually like the modal style an dI do that too in much of my pieces:)

I like your melodies a lot. It is nice to hear a nice melody in contemporary music as some can be quite harsh to listen too

What is the specific instrumentation?

5. Victor Atanasov

Hi Jennifer,

nice to meet you here:)

Really glad you liked The Suite,glad to hear your appreciation!I love music with a decent melody,harmony,and you're right to say that the contemporary classical music of nowadays is too harsh,too dissonant,seems like the music has disappeared in the noise of it.I believe that music has to be music at first if you know what I mean,no matter if it's been written in the 16-th,or in 21-st century.It should express its composers' feeling,thoughts,religious believes if you want,and a decent melody/harmony should be the drive of it.Of course music should evolve,but I don't think the nowadays avangard is the way to.My opinion though!

Really enjoyed your piano pieces,the one called 'To Scriabin'is my favourite,had a sneak preview on the cdbaby page,quite good,congatulations for it!

Regards!

Victor

6. Victor Atanasov

Forgot to mention about the orchestration:

It's been composed for a full symphonic orchestra,some of the instruments vary throughout the separate parts though.It's been composed for sections-Flute(two flute sections in the first part),Oboe,Clarinet in A,Basson,English Horn in Parts 2 and 3,Horn in F,Trumpet in B,Trombone,Tuba,Timpani,Cymbals,Tambourine,Triangle,Gong,Cymbals,Snare Drum,Piano,Violin 1,Violin 2,Viola,Violoncello,Contrabass.

7. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Castanello
    First Name:
    Jennifer
    Wow that's a big orchestra! Congratulations on your hard work!

8. livioguerra

livioguerra New Member

unfortunately Eddy has a point ...
    music in primarily sound ( even though the mind processes it into non-sound signals ) so when you have a rich orchestration the difference between real and virtual instruments becomes abysmal ... to the point that the musical effect is spoiled ...
    the harsh reality of life is that with the number of tracks in Victor's suite a high level mixing/mastering job would run at 100 $ per minute, and a human performance by a cheap czech orchestra to 1000 $ ...
    personally I learned in time to downsize my orchestration ... still certain pieces that I deemed valid from a musical point of view I had to throw away for lack of a satisfactory mixing solution ...
    ... try your hand with a solo tenor trombone line !!! whatever you do, it will sound not only bad but rather irritating !

9. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Victor,

I had a listen to your orchestral suite. I think you have some good orchestration, and the pictures are nice, but I confess I did not feel totally drawn in like I am, inextricably, for example, by Brahms 3rd Symphony. That said, not many composers can create something that original for a large ensemble, IMO. I liked your 2nd movement and the crash cymbals in the third section caught my attention :lol:. Your melodies and harmonies do not seem terribly gritty, instead, the opposite. I have a challenge if you want to take it. For your next piece, write a lot of dissonant melodies. Maybe not all dissonants but like icing on a cake, a few good dissonants in a consonant piece makes for a bit of drama that can make a piece sound good IMO.

Thanks for sharing,

look forward to your future pieces,

~Riley