DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Suggestions for Bach?

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by echoyjeff222, Sep 16, 2015.

1. echoyjeff222

echoyjeff222 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hi all,

I'm trying to find a new Bach piece to play. I can't help myself, it's been too long without Bach! I played the prelude and fugue in a flat from book 1 a while ago, and I was hoping to get some suggestions for another piece to start learning. Thanks!

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I never understand this kind of request. Surely you listen to lots of music and know which things you'd like to play and which not ? What does it help you if everyone tells you what their personal favorite piece is ? If you really have no preference (could be that you love all Bach pieces equally, it's possible) why not pick a random number in the range 1-48 and
    do the corresponding WTC pair ? Better still, buy the book(s) and dip into it/them randomly and regularly.

3. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Well as they say, it's not brain surgery. I can see how with a keyboard output as robust as Bach's, it might help to have some points of departure. Not everyone fancies himself a Bach guru as you do.

Anyhow, Jeff, if you're looking to do something other than a WTC pair, I might suggest one of the French suites, which work wonderfully on the piano and are melodically some of the most pleasing among his keyboard works. There are also the English Suites and the Partitas, but those may be a bit of a stretch for you at your current technical level (at least what I've heard; could be wrong of course).

The Italian Concerto is another decent starting point for a bigger, non-WTC Bach piece.