Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Submissions for the Site

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by echoyjeff222, Aug 2, 2015.

1. echoyjeff222

echoyjeff222 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
  2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is a nice batch to start off with. I like how you have used the critical feedback to good advantage.

Now is the time to start complying with the rules for file naming and ID3 tagging.
    Please refer to this post viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5115 where it is all explained.

3. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    The Jimbo is fine. The sleepy elephant comes across great, though I am puzzled by some unwarranted tenutos at eg 2'12'', 2'24'', 2'49''. And the sound of the piano is a bit weird.

The Shepherd is OK, though to be honest a little bit boring since you do not vary the tempo very much. Some of the passages could go significantly faster to make it less tame. And I think you upped the gain too much in the recording: I can hear significant noise from the piano mechanism.

The Brahms is basically great! This piece is much more difficult than it sounds and you have it well in hand. I do think you could get more out of it, if you want, by more pronounced rubatos in the outer sections to emphasize phrasing, now it is a bit mechanical, though this is a matter of interpretation. Otherwise my main gripe (and probably the reason why admins will want you to redo it) is the recurrent noise from the pedal mechanism or creaking chair.

Joachim

4. echoyjeff222

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Updated. Those ID tags are finicky!

And yes, I have been working diligently on any feedback I'm getting :)

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    So are Bach fugues. And you can do them :) The instructions are quite clear I believe (but if not, let us know).

About the file names it says they should be in all lowercase. Yours are not.
    The Title tag for the Bach does not say it is from the WTC. The correct title would have been Bach - BWV 862 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.17 in A flat major
    Good that you put in numbers for the Children's Corner items. Normal numbers are preferable or Roman numbers, which will not sort correctly when there are more than 8 items.
    Apart from that the data in the tags is rather inconsistent, see image.

Please have another try with the instructions at hand. It's character building :) I keep trying to get people to do this properly but it seems to be more work than just correcting them.

I've not listened to these as you submitted most or all earlier, and I believe they are good. However if there's an intrusively creaking bench or pedal in the Brahms you may want to take care of that. Things like that are irritating to a listener, however good the performance.

Attached Files:

• tags.jpg
      tags.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
  6. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I've listened to the Brahms and Chopin and see no reason why they shouldn't be on the site. I preferred the Brahms, tbh, I thought you were more at ease in his sound world and your individual sonority suited it more than the Chopin, where some of the on-beat chords were not exactly banged out on the beat but perhaps not presented in as refined a manner as they might have been. Still, that's really just a detail and it was worthwhile listening!

7. echoyjeff222

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    OK, I ended up downloading a bulk mp3 editor because it was a pain in the butt trying to go through each and edit them individually. For some reason the changes weren't showing up when I did them individually, either. Anyways ... yes that was good character building. Here they are, updated and hopefully correct :p

Bach - BWV 862 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.17 in A flat major (4:17)
    Brahms - Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 3 (6:36)
    Chopin - Prelude Op. 28 No. 13 (3:24)
    Debussy - Children's Corner - 2: Jimbo's Lullaby (3:49)
    Debussy - Children's Corner - 5: The Little Shepherd (2:45)

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I hate to say it, but there is absolutely no difference in the tags. I think I'll just correct them, life is too short to try to get people to do them right.

9. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I don't think echoyjeff is a member yet. So we need a photo and bio if these are going on the site.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. Anyway I will tag and upload them tonight.

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have uploaded these and added the links. Jeff, please provide a bio and photo so that we ca continue.

12. echoyjeff222

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Sorry about the tags! I don't know what's going on. I think it may be because I re-downloaded them off of my soundcloud, which already had tags on it? So, the edits wouldn't override ... next time, I'll make sure to get it right the first time around! Thanks.

Where can I submit the bio and the photo?

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    You can post them right here.

14. echoyjeff222

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    (I looked at bios from the site and felt awkward referring to myself in the third person, so I went ahead and stuck with first person!)

I am currently an undergraduate student studying Neurobiology and Philosophy at the University of Washington. My future goals are pointed toward medical school.

I began playing piano when I was ten years old. In high school, I faced the arduous challenge of trying to juggle both swim practices and piano lessons. It was difficult trying to balance the two; during one piano lesson, I almost dozed off in front of my teacher. Piano was a chore, but I started to find new meaning in music during my senior year of high school. I was reading an emotionally touching novel called “The Time Traveler’s Wife.” I think it was the first time I had ever cried while reading a novel, and, at the same time, I was playing Chopin's Nocturne in C Sharp Minor. When I melded the two together, visualizing the scenes from the book while I played the piano, I started to realize how powerful music could be in expressing ideas. From then on, I have been able to express my emotions through music, connecting music to books, or to the ups and downs of daily life. Now, I look forward to playing piano because each piece of music is a blank slate, waiting for me to project my emotions and interpretations into sound.

Attached Files:

15. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello echoyjeff. Sorry, but I cannot make your page without knowing your real name.... :)

16. echoyjeff222

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Oops :mrgreen: . Jeffrey Lee.

17. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    You may notice that the "Recent artists" on the main PS page now features Andy Lee. More than one person with the same surname is always problematic. I'll try to fix it soon.

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh yes, I uploaded Lee's photo last night but didn't think about the duplicate name. I'll upload it again tonight with a different name....probably jlee.jpg Is that okay, or does lee need to come first? Now that I think about it, we also have Hye-Jin Lee.

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'll need to think about that, it's been many years since we had this situation. It seems there are a few people in the world called Lee :)
    Leave it with me, I'll rename if necessary.

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, Jeffrey, your page is up on the site now. Please check all links. We'll get your photo up as soon as the duplicate name issue is resolved.
    Welcome to Piano Society, and we hope that you will remain active on the forum by submitting new recordings and especially commenting on other members' recordings! :)