DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Submission

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by KeenanReimerWatts, Apr 14, 2011.

1. KeenanReimerWatts

KeenanReimerWatts New Member

Student at Wilfrid Laurier University, just done f
    Hi!
    Here is an attempted post of my own composition, Nocturne, for submission. If I'm not posting this correctly, please let me know! I am still new to this whole system.
    Anyways, This is my Nocturne It was recorded live at a recital at my school, Wilfrid Laurier University, on a Yamaha. The recording quality might not be to great, but you can hear the notes, at least.
    Little bits and pieces came over a bit, and I sort of just wove them together...this is what came out.

Hope you like it!

Keenan

2. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Keenan,
    Let me just say briefly, that in my estimation this is a very well-crafted composition for piano! It bears unmistakable (IMO) influences of Ravel, Debussy and Scriabin. The recording is of fine quality but the volume is too soft. I was puzzled only by the title, as the work did not fit what I expected for a nocturne, but maybe that's just me. Good work! I hope you're doing more.

Regards,
    Eddy

3. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    Keenan,

That was a joy to listen to. The impressionist influences are definitely there.

How long have you been composing? Are you majoring in piano or composition or both?

Scott

4. KeenanReimerWatts

Thank you both! I have been told it is rather impressionistic.
    Well, I call it a nocturne because it seems to be in 3 parts, A/B/A'. There is a unifying theme at either end...and I like the word 'Nocturne'. I can't say that I know exactly how to title pieces appropriately but if anyone has suggestions let me know!
    I have been composing more...I only started writing it down this year. So far I have about 5 piano pieces, 1 VERY short work for three cellos, and a piece for a string instrument and piano (not yet completed), preferably cello, if I don't stretch the range to much. I only have a few more recordings, other works haven't been recorded, or even learned, yet.
    Here is another one of the few piano pieces I have done, entitled Poem. As for why I called it that, I thought it sounded a bit poetic! :)

Hope you enjoy! And thanks for listening! Any comments, including criticisms, are welcome.

Keenan Reimer-Watts

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are nice pieces, very well played. You seem to have a natural feeling for piano sounds and textures. Occasionally, the harmonic language seems a bit clumsy (something I often find in amateur compositions, not sure if I have a point or it it's just me). The Nocturne has many nice moments but seems rather a patchwork, which you more or less hinted at yourself. I wish you had made more use of the opening theme which is quite catchy. But you soon abandon it in favor of other, less interesting ideas, never to look back. Although I know beans about music theory or form, I always feel that a piece must have some purpose and continuity, instead of be a sequence of disjointed ideas. Or maybe they are related and I just didn't notice it.
    Anyway, nice work.

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, that Nocturne is very pretty! For me, I heard Rachmaninov, Debussy, Albeniz, and then a little Chopin right at the end. Specifically the beginning sounds like.....argh....can't think of the name or composer. The melody of the piece I have in my head goes like:

f, f, g, e, d, c, d, e, e, d, d ------a, a, b-flat, g, f, e, f, g, g, a, f, e, d, e, f, g, e, d, e... I hope someone can figure this out for me - I'm at work and don't have a piano at hand.

And then at the very end, I hear a Chopin nocturne. Again, I know which one I mean, but don't have the opus number. I'll look it up...

Anyway, again, this is a pretty piece!

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ravel Pavane (figured out without piano at hand 8) )

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica

Oh yes! Good one - thanks!! Now we don't even need a piano....haha

9. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Very impressive given that it shows no rhythm. In fact without rhythm, it could make a very nice chant!

10. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Keenan, I like the Poem very much also, ... except I think the Tierce de Picardy is wholly out of context and character. Drop the last note! :?

11. KeenanReimerWatts

Hello,

A thanks to Chris Breemer, and everyone else who commented, again :)
    What do you (Chris) mean by the harmonic language? I agree with your other comments as well...I will rework it someday, I just don't exactly know where to start. The opening theme does come back in the end, but other than that, you're right, I could use it more!
    And it doesn't matter than you don't know more than beans :p That means you have an unbiased opinion, which is valuable still.
    Yes...I have tended to patch them together...is it very noticeable? I know the sections are noticed, but in to poem the beginning minute or so came little by little, bar by bar over the course of about a month. If that is noticeable, I should try some continuity, as you said.
    Great advice! I'll keep it all in mind

Best,
    Keenan

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nothing more than that I found some of the harmonic changes a bit clumsy. I can tell you which if you want, though I'd be hard pressed (lacking formal musical knowledge myself) to explain why exactly I perceive them like that .

Beans, beans... the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot :p