Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Stress, Venting, Punching Bag

Discussion in 'General' started by juufa72, Feb 12, 2008.

1. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

(To fill in for the absence of Nathan Coleman): What's your address? :lol:

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

3. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Techneut: I never take my anger out on a person or a group of people. I don't use scapegoats for my wrath. Somehow I found that taking a walk out in the fields and screaming helps a little bit (that, and as mentioned before, lifting heavy things).

I sense that most of you don't anger quickly or to the extent at which venting is required? Is this correct?

4. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Piano Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Muller
    First Name:
    Nichole
    **********************************************************************************
    Will spare you from my verbosity.
    N

5. Adam

Adam New Member

Musician, Student Economics
    I rarely burst into rage, really. When I do it's usually because something or someone just keeps annoying me ( like the phone. People just can't seem to leave me alone! ). I usually just think to myself "there's no point in getting enraged just because of the phone.". However, if I get really angry I start to swear a lot for about 20 seconds and I usually feel like smashing the ( damned ) thing against a wall. I've never actually wrecked anything while I was angry though. Also, I usually only get angry when I'm all alone.

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I guess everybody at times has the (passing) need to slam a door, blaspheme, or snap at somebody. That is only natural, and mostly for a specific - if often petty - reason. Not sure if this can be called anger. It's supposed to pass quickly without the need to physically vent it out. I think this is the 'normal' way in which most people deal with the annoyances of life. If you get more angry/frustrated than that, there may be something else that you have potted up for too long. There must be a reason to be found for it - unless it's just plain old hormones having their way. In which case you perhaps will grow out of it yet.

7. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    :) I told you already, :? I don't get angry :x EVER. :evil: :lol:

Yes, I'm very slow to annoy. Just when I think I could lose my temper, I crack a stupid joke and laugh at myself. I guess my default demeanor is super-calm. If I'm a little vexed about whatever, I run or walk a few more miles. Exercise is vital, I agree. Proper diet helps the mood enormously, too.

PF

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Juufa and Chopinman: Stress is a major factor as far as your health is concerned. Studies show that stress actually causes sickness and disease. My own sister is dealing with cancer right now which was no doubt brought on by the bad family situation she is currently dealing with. So you must try things like meditation or yoga, listening to soft music, playing piano, or just watch movies that will take your mind off of things. Pete's idea of running so as to work/sweat out your anger is good, also.

9. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Just pray about it; Jesus will make it all better. :D

10. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I won't say I am slow to annoy, but being able to take the p*ss of myself does work wonders on occasion. I can sometimes have a hearty laugh at my own stupidity (and that of others, to be honest :lol: ).

11. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    That's cold! :lol:

12. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

...and so it begins

off topic, again :roll:

13. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, J - Don't let it anger you. Just call the off-topic policeman. And tell him not to forget the handcuffs. :lol: (just another Nathan-ism, or is it mine? :lol: :lol:)

14. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    About dietary stress-reducers...
    There are a few foods I find extremely effective at maintaining calm. The first would have to be salmon. I'm not overly versed on the chemistry of it but I do know, when eaten with some regularity (more than three times a week) my mood is invariably pleasant. The fatty acids DHA and EPA in the fish reduce stress hormones including cortisol, improve cholesterol ratio and reduce the stickiness of your blood, leading to a drop in heart attack risk. Anecdotally, I feel my joints and muscles are more flexible, accompanied by a noticeable improvement at the piano. All that and a great source of protein. So, eat your fish! :lol:

Tomatoes (especially tomato paste) are saturated with lycopene, a potent antioxidant. Early studies show a decrease in muscle fatigue after intense exercise, along with an increase in post-workout recovery rate. Lycopene also appears to increase the skin's resistance to UV light. (People in the study ate 70 grams of tomato paste a day for three months. It's pretty good on toast.) :?

Citrus fruits, need I say more?

Ginger. Nothing wakes you up in the a.m. like a throat-searing shot of fresh ginger juice. Definitely not for the feint of heart, the juice (which is delicious in lemonade, BTW) has potent anti-inflammatory properties.

I could go on forever...skim milk, brown rice, olive oil, red bell peppers, green lima beans, steel cut oats, canola oil, dark chocolate, avocado, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, cherries, the odd glass of red wine, celery, yogurt, green tea, flax oil, beans of any kind, tuna, garlic, what else....sushi! (gag)

IMO, diet is THE most important variable in the wellness equation. If I neglect mine, life's stresses become far less tolerable.

Anyone else notice diet's effect on stress or piano playing in general?

Pete

15. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I eat decently. Absolutely no fast foods, soda (pop depending on where you live in the US :evil: ---if outside the US, then let's just call it 'carbonated sugar water'), junk foods are minimum.

The only bad thing about my diet is that I carb-load in the morning (mmmmm cereal yummy!) when, instead, I should be pounding down the protein.

I too eat lots of salmon because the Old War Horse (father) and I go fishing on Lake Michigan. We have too much salmon in our freezer.

It's always interesting to see how the "little things" make the difference between raging over a lost penny and simply asking the parents for 1cent :wink: :lol: (anyone get the pun?)

16. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Vice versa, here celebrities (and politicians) follow Papa Ratzy.

17. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    And that's the real reason why our ancestors moved over here, of course...to get as far from papa as possible. :D

18. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Oh my! A freezer full of salmon is my dream come true! If I want the fresh stuff way down south, I have to pay 12.99/lb. I wonder what John Robson has to pay, the poor sod. Needless to say, canned is usually how I get it.

Indeed, junk food is just that. Junk. It should be treated as all other junk and put into a local trash receptacle. Don't get me started on trans-fat! Isn't hydrogenated oil banned from much of the EU food supply? When will we Americans follow suit? (When the majority of a nation's populous having heart disease becomes perceived (correctly) as socioeconomic suicide, that's when.)
    :roll:

ANYWAY...I was very stressed out today. So I ran my tri-monthly long run, 12 miles one way, 12 miles back. Of course, I failed to take note of the wind, S@30mph. So (running north) I had a 30mph tailwind going out and, you guessed it, a 30mph headwind coming home. Yikes. So, my day ended with my stress-reliever (running) becoming a BEEOTCH of a stress inducer. Ah, you know what they say, whatever doesn't kill ya....and I feel more than half dead already. I may be ready to begin training for that ultra-marathon I've been fantasizing about these past few years....I'll send pictures! (BEFORE Hell freezes over.) :lol:

PS I don't get the pun, Juufa (how did you get that name?) lol:

Anyhoo, that's a wee bit o' the rant for ye lads 'n' lassies.

Pete out.

19. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    It has been rather windy lately. I was in NO earlier today (yesterday?) and it was just as windy there as here in Hattiesburg. At least it's not as cold as it was when it first got windy about a week ago. :lol:

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, guess what? We are going to get more snow this week! It's been our snowiest winter in about 30 years, or something like that. And it always snows during the middle of the night. My husband leaves for work early in the morning and does not have time to clear the driveway. So I get to do it. He says, "just use the snow-blower." hahaha I try but the darn thing weighs more than I do and when I do get it turned on, I can't get it to go in a straight line. That's why I then use a regular, old shovel. This is my 'running' or 'exercising' time, as it is really physically hard work. At least I lost the five pounds I gained from the holidays.

Oh, and I saw a robin the other day. Made me very, very glad since that is our annual sure sign that Spring is coming.

And Pete, you sound like an Irish leprechaun. Getting ready for St. Patrick's day? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (that green smiley is the closest thing we have to a leprechaun)