Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Start piano playing

Discussion in 'The Piano' started by Anonymous, Jan 24, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Maybe you can record some of them and become a member. We don't have any on the site, yet.

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Another one trying to wind me up :evil:
    Bach's Inventions boring ???? They are among the very best study pieces there are, and musically so high above anything Czerny wrote that one should not even use the two names in one sentence. If anything is boring, it's Czerny's endless roulades of notes. Maybe not boring to the fingers, but just to the mind.

Having said this, I used to think the Inventions, and Bach in general, were boring for a long time... I dutifully trundled through them because it is was what my teacher told me to do, without much liking them or even seeing the point. Then at one stage, can't remember when exactly, Bach hit me like a ton of bricks. It will happen to you. There is no getting away from old JS 8)

You advice is dead wrong though. Always playing pieces just outside your technical reach it tempting (used to do that a lot, too) and surely it is exciting. But I find, having wised up some, that playing the things you can play, and try do them really well, does just as much, if not more, for your technique and musicality.

3. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Oh sheep! They did it to you again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's a golden rule.

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I try to do a mix of both - I'm always working on a few things I can play, and play really well, with not too much work, and then a few things that I won't be able to play for years. :D

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yeh, same here. Always learning new and hard stuff, but it is great to have some fallback repertoire you feel really comfortable with. So nice to relax and just play instead of always reaching up. That is how I can chuck out the odd CS in between ongoing projects :D