Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Some recordings from me

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by fnork, Feb 17, 2008.

1. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I am in the process of adding the recordings. Beethoven is up so far.

2. robert

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Berg is up.

3. robert

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Brahms recordings are up.

4. robert

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Ravel's Ondine is up too and according to your wish, the Chopin etude is not up.

Again, welcome!

5. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Didn't he say not to put up the Beethoven?

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, and I can't see why. It is a fine performance. :?

7. fnork

fnork New Member

It's okay, you can keep the Beethoven on the site... I listened to it again, it's an acceptable performance...

8. robert

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I was too fast there but it is far beyond acceptable atmv.

9. fnork

fnork New Member

Added Carl VInes first piano sonata, first movement.

10. fnork

fnork New Member

here's a photo of me that could be added to the site also! I'll see later if I can find a better one somewhere....

11. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I am so sorry, but I was about to put up your latest file last week – your Vine recording, but then I got sidetracked and forgot all about it. Now I have put it up on the site along with your photo.

About the recording – I think it is really nice. This kind of music is not quite my cup of tea, but I am trying to keep an open mind (and ears) and I hear some parts that I do in fact like. A couple years ago, I saw Joyce Lang play this at my old high school and I remember I was very impressed with the piece with those note clusters and all (I think you did that in this movement?). Your playing is top-notch and also the quality of the recording, which sounds very good.

The recording is in the 'various composers' category.

12. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Hi fnork, I'm glad to hear your recordings at this place. I just listened to the Vine. You do it marvellously! Is it as horrendously difficult as it sounds? Will you do the other movements?

Just out of curiosity, who won the competition you mentioned?

13. fnork

fnork New Member

thanks for the comments! troglodyte - it's actually much EASIER than it sounds, Vine wriites very very pianistically. There are only two movements - however, I have other projects that I find more interresting and will probably never finish the sonata. Never played it in concert, but it was rewarding at the time I was working on it (about 2 years ago now) - a good introduction perhaps to the modern repertoire. There are some places where you can get problems memory-wise in this piece, and in some sections you need to work on getting the rhythm right. But comparing to most modern music, its a piece of cake...

14. Joel Thomas

Joel Thomas New Member

This should come with the caveat that the second movement is much more difficult than the first. I have performed this complete sonata (as well as the complete Vine 2nd from 1997 - which is longer and more difficult than the 1st) in recitals, competions, and auditions and have found both to be very effective - a worthy addition to any pianist's repertoire. The Sonata (1990) works best when both movements are played, since there is thematic transformation from the first page of the work to the last.

It should also be mentioned that the metric modulation at m. 52 in the recording here posted is misread by fnork. Notice that the marking that Mr. Vine so perspicaciously included that the sixteenth note remains the same. If you do the math (let me: 144x3/4=108) you'll see that this is true. Otherwise, this recording of the first movement is quite good. I'm curious what mics were used and where is was recorded.

15. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I failed to listen to this until now. What a blockbuster of a piece ! IMO, Vine gives Barber a run for his money. When the heat is on, this music is absolutely gorgeous. How this can be easier than it sounds, is beyond me. Splendidly performed, great sound. If I was able to play this, I could not wait to complete this great sonata.

16. fnork

fnork New Member

Joel Thomas,

Nice to see that someone else is playing Vine! You're probably right with the 2nd mvmt being the more difficult one (especially the first 3-4 pages, no?) but having read it through I thought it looked pretty pianistic too, most of the time. Saying it is much more difficult might be an exaggeration, but again, I haven't performed it in concert so, you're the guy with experience here!

I don't have the score at the moment and don't know which place you're talking about, at what time in the recording is it? I brought the piece up the same day as I recorded it not having touched it for half a year - so yes, there might be some textual mistakes. I had only time for one take also unfortunately. It was recorded on a Steinway D at the Royal Academy in Stockholm, in our concert hall. Don't know what mics were used. (I was busy remembering all of the notes, hehe!)

Right now, I have some other fascinating contemporary music projects - Anders Nilssons "Five orchestral pieces", Lutoslawski etudes and a pianotrio by Sven-David Sandström. That will keep me busy for a while I think so I don't know if I'll find time to complete the piece in the future...the Nilsson and Sandström pieces are in many ways trickier than Vine but much more musically satisfying for me to work on. Plus, everyone plays Vine in competitions these days....

17. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    your Berg

I listened to your Berg. Wow, you are a very excellent pianist!
    I played this Sonata myself for a couple of years, but not in a concert, but only for myself :)
    I had a problem with memorizing the piece. How is it for the accomplished pianists like you? Is the piece not so difficult to memorize?
    You play it very fast... Actually I'm used to performances, which were much slower played, f. e. recordings by Gould, Uchida, Stadtfeld (the last pianist I don't like very much)... But I found though listening to your performance that this piece played fast let me discover another aspect and another mood of it. So thank you :D

18. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    your Vine

And I also listend to the Vine Sonata. How great this music and your performance are!!! Thank you for sharing this recording. (Also the sound quality is the best!)

19. fnork

fnork New Member

hyenal,

thanks for taking your time to listen and comment! Isn't the Berg sonata such a special work? I wish he would've written more piano pieces...While it's not as straight-forward to memorize as a Beethoven sonata movement, it will definately help you a great deal to analyse the piece - in fact, basically the whole piece is built on the opening statement (which is only four bars long or so). It was a long time ago I learned it but from what I remember I memorized it in about a week or so. Unfortunately, even when well-prepared, memory problems can occur in this piece - as they did towards the end of this recording, which was my first concert performance of it.

You're right that most pianists play it very slowly. It can be played in many ways. The recording I put up might have been too fast in some sections but I prefer a faster tempo than most pianists in this piece - it gives the piece a more agitato feeling that I don't get at all in some pianists interpretation...but thats just me.

20. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Just listened to your Brahms. Pity about the recording quality but once my ears adjusted it is really excellent. Brahms was quite old when he wrote this, it is amazing that a youngster can play it and own it as completely as you do - it is completely natural, as if the music were produced on the spot. Thanks for sharing!