Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Some recordings from me

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by fnork, Feb 17, 2008.

1. fnork

fnork New Member

Hi everyone!

Greetings from Sweden. I've enjoyed listening to various recordings from this site and decided now to join and share a bunch of my own recordings. Hope you will enjoy it. Most of it is recorded live, the links go to another site where I uploaded the music.

Ravel: 'Ondine' from Gaspard de la nuit
    Ravel - Ondine from Gaspard de la Nuit

Alban Berg: Piano sonata op 1
    Berg - Op.1, Piano Sonata

Brahms: Vier klavierstücke op 119:
    Brahms - Op.119 no.1, Intermezzo in B minor
    Brahms - Op.119 no.2, Intermezzo in E minor
    Brahms - Op.119 no.3, Intermezzo in C major
    Brahms - Op.119 no.4, Rhapsodie in E-flat major

Beethoven: Piano sonata nr 24, op 78, first movement:
    Beethoven - Op.78, Piano Sonata no.24 in F-sharp major, I. Adagio cantabile - Allegro ma non troppo

Chopin: Etude op 10 no 1

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.ph ... 953.0.html

UPDATE: Added Carl Vine's first piano sonata, first movement:
    (but I suppose it's not possible to have it on the site due to copyright etc...it was written in 1990)

Vine - Piano Sonata No. 1 - 1st movement

2. François Micol

François Micol New Member

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    Hey there. Would I be correct in assuming you're the same fnork who sometimes posts on Gamingforce?

Your Ondine is wonderful. I love the piece, and your performance doesn't fail to deliver. Thank you.

3. fnork

fnork New Member

thats correct! and you are....?

Glad you liked it! Played it last week in concert also but haven't recieved the recording yet. It's a piece that, if played well, always casts a spell on the audience...can be said of all of gaspard, for that matter...

4. François Micol

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    I'm Face (^___^) there. Be sure to post the concert recording if/when you get it!

5. fnork

fnork New Member

Ahh, I see! Greetings! :) I don't know anything about the recording quality yet, but if it's good, I will post it. that concert was when I was playing in a small national competition with the following program: (they had a 20-minute limit, that's why it was such a short program)

bach - p&f in G#minor, book 1
    lutoslawski - etude no 2
    ravel - ondine
    brahms - rhapsody op 119 no 4

...so, if I will get the recording, I will try to post it all.

6. François Micol

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    I see, I see. How did the competition go? Did you get any prize or distinction? I'll be playing in two of those next month myself...

7. fnork

fnork New Member

only first prize was awarded, and I was placed as no 2. almost, but not quite - but anyway, competitions are nothing but lotteries, most of the time...

8. tpascale

tpascale Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    I listened to your Ravel, Brahms, and Chopin - and clearly you are a first rate pianist - this was really exceptional playing at a very high level. The Ravel is a fantastic recording, full of drama and color, and although notoriously difficult I think you mastered it completely. I also enjoyed your Brahms - particularly the op 119 no.2 - which is full of dramatic contrastics and emotion which all came through. The line flowed well as a whole with just the right dose of rubato along the way. I think the Chopin was less effective - not as much dynamic range and color as I think are needed and technically not up to the level of the others. But one can easily discern from these recordings that you are certainly a very accomplished pianist who has no trouble handling the most difficult repertoire. Thanks for sharing !

9. fnork

fnork New Member

thanks for commenting! about the chopin - it was done very hastily, on a bad instrument, and, umm, well...it is recommended to warm up for a while before recording that thing, but I was in a hurry to send it to a course I wanted to attend last summer. so, you're right, it's not on the same level as the other recordings.

10. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hi fnork, welcome to Piano Society, and thanks for your recordings. Seems like they are really good (I have not heard them yet).

Can we ask you to follow the standard procedure for uploading pieces ? That is, upload them as attachments rather than hotlink them from some other site or forum. I know that is a bit more work for you, but it is less work for us, as well as courtesy to our dedicated users who may not appreciate being diverted to another site.

You do not have to change these, I'll deal with them, but please keep it in mind for the next time. Thanks for your cooperation !

11. fnork

fnork New Member

thanks for the welcoming, techneut! and, sorry about the recordings, I didn't know that. If you want me to, I can upload them here, but probably not until tomorrow.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nah, don't worry, I've downloaded them and will put them (or most of them) on the site. Just next time remember to use the Attachment button.

I have listened to most of it, and you are a splendid pianist. The Ravel and Beethoven are especially good, notwithstanding some unfortunate misses in the Beethoven. The Berg sounds great too. I guess in some ways this is more difficult than the Ondine, and you certainly have the measure of it. Shame about the racket at the end. If you could upload a version withou tthat it would be nice !

The Chopin is impressive in its drive and power, and anybody who dashes this off without terminal cramp has my deepest respect. While realizing that many a great pianist hits the odd wrong note here, there seem to be a lot of misses here - to the point of it being sloppy. You could do so much better if you took one notch of the speed. Speed is not everything. Except when you battery is running out :wink: But it's not worse than some other versions we have, so it can go up the site if you want - please advise.

I am not sure we should put the Brahms items on the site. Sure they are very well played, but the sound is rather awful - especially the nuclear blast that starts off the Rhapsody. You explained that on Piano Street and frankly I think they fall short for this reason. But if the other admins/members think they should go up, so be it.

If you post your bio and photo here, we can start putting you up as a pianist.

13. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I agree to most of what Techneut already said. I especially liked the Berg sonata which is very demanding in several aspects. A pure pain to memorize, very tricky technically but most of all difficult to interpret musically.

Your Ravel Ondine is too very good and it sounds like you know the story behind it and tells it very well.

It is a pity about the sound quality on the Brahms recordings because your playing is absolute top class and of course they can go up.

And at the end the Chopin etude which indeed has a very inspiring drive and force while a lot of wrong notes. I still like it a lot because of it's "happy sound" coming from your enthusiastic playing. But I am sure you can do better after listening to your other recordings right?

And by they way, är du från Sverige?

14. fnork

fnork New Member

thanks for the comments everyone. I tried to put up many different recordings mostly to give eveyone an idea of my playing, but I don't think everything should be put up on the site. I think pianosociety survives without another chopin etude for instance, which I could play better anyway...If I ever make a new recording of it, I will post it. The Beethoven is not necessary to put up either.

The Berg does have a minor memory slip unfortunately, and it's the only recording of it that I have. In general, I don't like 'studio' recordings and try to record my concerts instead, but as we all know, things can happen in live situations...the Berg recording was the first time I played it in concert - I did it again a few weeks later and didn't have any memory problems, but I don't think it got recorded unfortunately...
    One question related to this - is it possible to "update" your recordings on this site? In other words, if I put up a recording of a piece which I later play again in concert and then have a better recording of, is it possible to upload the better one and delete the old recording?

And the Brahms pieces - I will play them again in concert in the beginning of March and it will probably be possible to record that concert. So we can wait until then, and I will (hopefully) have a better version by then.

och Robert, ja, ännu en svensk på forumet :)

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The Beethoven is a lovely performance which should definitely go up. The Chopin is for you to say - indeed it's not as if we need another Chopin 10-1 :wink:

I doubt many people would be bothered by that slip - if they spot it at all. It is a good and committed performance that should definitely go up IMO.

Yes that is always possible. As long as you are not continuously re-recording and replacing (we'll tell you if we think you are :wink: )

Robert found the sound good enough for the site. So if you want them up, tell us.

16. fnork

fnork New Member

When I think about it, you could put up all of it except the Chopin study. I also find that the little slip in Berg doesn't matter too much, I managed to get around it quite well...And as I said, I will play Brahms op 119 soon again and can "update" to that recording later - that concert is on a terrific Steinway and as long as I will practice it enough, I'm sure the outcome will be good enough for your site :) I will also look and see if I find any more recordings of value, and send you a bio later today. thanks for all of the positive response!

17. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Of course you are from Sweden, you wrote that in the very first sentence!

I will put it up but for that, I need your full name and biography. You can post it right here or send me an email at robert@pianosociety.com.

18. fnork

fnork New Member

Hi again! Here's a little CV that I promised to send, sorry it took a while:

Born in Sweden in 1987, Martin Malmgren started to play the piano around the age of six. Currently, he studies at Edsberg in Stockholm with Mats Widlund as his teacher. His previous teachers have been, among others; Anders Kilstrom, Hans Palsson and Stefan Wojtas (Cracow, Poland).

Martin has recieved numerous awards and scholarships, among others the Maj von Rosen-award, given to the five most promising young Swedish pianists every year, and awards from both the Royal Music and Scientific Academies of Sweden, given yearly to highly gifted musicians. He was finalist in the Swedish Yamaha competition 2008. Martin performs regularly since early age both in Sweden and abroad and was invited this year to perform in among others Trelleborg International Piano Festival and Lyckå Chamber Music Festival. He has also been heard in Swedish TV and radio, and played with orchestra for the first time when he was 16 years old.

19. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I have made up your bio page. How about adding a photo?

Your recordings will be put up by either Chris or Robert.

20. fnork

fnork New Member

thanks a lot! I will see if I can find a decent photo soon....

and about recordings - everything except Chopin and Beethoven could be put up. I will definately take them up again one day and make better recordings of both pieces.