Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

some of the missing Opus 27 of Kabalevsky

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by nathanscoleman, Sep 5, 2008.

1. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    These are a few of the ones we're missing from the Opus 27. I would've stayed away thinking Mon was doing a CS, but I notice Robson has one of the missing links as well. So, here's my contribution.

Okay, gonna go lay in bed for a few hours.

Kabalevsky - Thirty Children's Pieces Op. 27, no. 3 "Etude"

Kabalevsky - Thirty Children's Pieces Op. 27, no. 10 "Clowning

Kabalevsky - Thirty Children's Pieces Op. 27, no. 15 "March"

Kabalevsky - Thirty Children's Pieces Op. 27, no. 21 "The Chase"

Kabalevsky - Thirty Children's Pieces Op. 27, no. 22 "The Tale"

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I don't mind you adding to the set at all. Kind of relieves me, actually, because I knew that there were still quite a few to go, but just kept forgetting about doing them. Until you mentioned Kabalevsky in your last thread. Which btw, where are they? They are not on the site yet. :?

And now about your recordings:

1. "Playing Ball" Unfortunately, I cannot hear the repeated notes in the first two measures. Also dynamics could be much more. And the last 8th note in every measure is staccato - like a bouncing ball.

2. Little Fable - 2nd measure is wrong rhythm. Should be two 8th notes, then half note, then two 8ths again. Rhythm went awry also at bar 17 - should be four 8th notes, then two quarter notes.

3. Clowning is fine.

4. Scherzo - bar 9 and 11 - I show a D-natural in RH, not D-sharp. Also, I don't think you followed the ups and downs exactly right.

5. March is fine.

6. Chase is fine. Could ritard a little at the end, though.

7. A Tale - a few hesitant spots at bars 15 and 44, but otherwise fine. And except for being in a different key, this piece sounds so similar to "Lyrical Piece" doesn't it?

Nathan, please let me know if you agree with my remarks, or if you feel you are satisfied with all of these recordings. And if there are any remaining in this set, you might as well do them too. I sort of like when we have a 'team effort' with complete sets sometimes.

3. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    "Playing Ball" -- I have judged thee and found thee unworthy. Thou art banished!!
    I removed this one, Mon. I, maybe for the first time, really dislike a piece! There are some pieces I'm ambivalent about, but I really didn't like this one. And those written staccato made it much worse .. that's why I played the phrases incorrectly.

Other than that, I'm okay with the rest of these; if you are, that is.

To address the other issues:

little fable - omg! :oops: I have no excuse ... I'll repost later! *sigh* I coulda swore .........

scherzo - i hear a d natural in there?

Dunno. You admins have had multiple crises last several wks. No rush. You know, Chris may be waiting on that 2nd piece so he can make another pretty CS table for me ... that first one was so pretty. :8

*sigh* yeah, yeah, I suck! :p

I like that too. But I'm not overwhelmed with excitement about other pieces. I've got them printed out, though; I'll keep 'em on piano and maybe slow-post ... unless you (hopefully) beat me to them!! Plus, there are some extremely awkward page turns in there ... and I can't spread out score on my electric like I can on my acoustic. 2 maybe 3 page maximum if I'm very careful not to jostle the piano too much!

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok - I am out of time for the rest of the day, but I'll get this up either late tonight or early tomorrow. In the meantime, can you check that Scherzo again - (maybe I didn't hear that D right) - but check the ups and down in that one spot. I think students and probably teachers listen to these kind of pieces as a reference and so I think we need to make sure to play correct notes. Do you as you please to me if I'm wrong about those measures - I just don't have time to check them again right now.

5. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Ok, I'll redo the scherzo later too .. one of those ups and downs was off. Thx for keeping me honest! :)

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, these are up, Nathan. 21 down, 9 to go.

Please check all links. I'm tired and may be getting sloppy.

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I think he forgot, so I have just put these on the site (but in a plain black/white table). Chris can make the pretty table when you complete the set.

8. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Glad you bumped this one up here ... I'd forgotten to check everything out.

Thx.

9. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Kabby

Sounds good to me. I wouldn't worry much about any of these as they are just fun little pieces. I'm not ANTI complete sets, but I usually refuse to do them if I don't like one of the parts or, of course, if it's too difficult to devote too much energy to.