DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Slow and rusty fingers

Discussion in 'Technique' started by Anonymous, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi! I'm new to this forums, found out about it just recently. Anyhoo, here's the thing. I've been playing the piano since I was... i forgot x.x around 6-7 or something. Now I'm 18, and i've neglected piano for around 3 years already. I became an addict of computer games in pc, and so this is my dilema.

In computer games right, my hand hardly moves at all, or my positioning of my hand (curled up to the shape of the mouse). Now, when i play the piano, i found out my fingers lost their... touch. they don't move uniformly anymore, I can't control them, they've become stiff in the joints.

I wanna ask, is there any hope for me? I recently became interested in piano again after seeing some FF pieces, and alot of them requires fast, strong, and most importantly, controlled and fluid fingers. I want to ask if there's any exercise, what route should i be doing, to make my fingers smooth and fluid again? (i think the problem is in my finger joints, somehow they've grown stiff and don't want to move as much anymore :c) oh and exercises for building up speed too? :)

Sorry if this is quite noobish, but i haven't had a piano teacher in... actually... 5 years or so o.o

Scales? finger exercises maybe? any tips? :s

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Musician, Student Economics
    WLM:
    adamkuczynski@hotmail.com
    Heya,

I suppose you could try some Hanon or Bach's inventions. You shouldnt start off with difficult pieces, but you should try to regain your "touch" by playing simple things.

Oh, and there's no reason to feel hopeless. I play computer games a lot myself too, but it never affected my ability to play the piano. I'm guessing you just never sat down and played something in the past few months; anyone would get 'rusty' fingers from that.

3. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    No, not too noobish. :lol:

This is a complicated question; the best I can do is say some overly concise statements. Start easily. When in doubt, play slower and softer. Coordinate your mind first and the fingers will likely follow. Read up on the subject of piano technique. Consider getting a teacher. Do gentle stretching of the hands, arms and trunk. Breathe in time. Sing first what you want to play. Count. Avoid distraction when practicing. Make sure your intentions and your actions are in sync.

Goals that you don't write down are simply wishes.

Pete

4. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Maybe I could summarize my previous post...Start easily and progress carefully and logically.

Bach Inventions may be a good choice for achieving that. Careful with Hanon; it's very easy to over-train one's hands with purely physical exercise.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ha, another opportunity to donate my pet advice :wink:
    Play Bach and everything will be given to you. Eventually, or course.

6. alf

alf New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    You mean the kingdom of heaven, don't you... :lol:
    Normally I'd agree with you about this, but playing Bach is not enough to build up an all-round technique.

7. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    Bach

Since you mentioned the kingdom of heaven, I must say that when it comes to Bach, I'm a believer.
    His work is so vast I truly believe it does cover (almost) every aspect of technique.
    I don't see anyone who has played his complete keyboard works having any difficulty playing Chopin, Liszt or Beethoven.
    Some say his works are the "Old Testament" of music, I believe it is the whole bible (and that's been said before).

:)

Marcelo

8. alf

alf New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Re: Bach

Speaking of technique, vastness is not scope. You can successfully play Bach, whose technique is essentially finger-centric, even if your octaves suck, or you haven't the faintest what arm technique is, or you discover to be stuck with a Chopin Etude. Let alone much of the XX century repertoire.

Nobody starts playing those composers after having studied the most meaningful part if not all of Bach's keyboard production. How could you possibly prove your statement? Here on Earth a pianist's technical nourishment is supplied by a varied diet.

9. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    WLM:
    terez2727@hotmail.com
    AOL:
    terez2727
    I agree with Alf - Bach requires a very specific sort of technique. Running the gamut of Bach will certainly give you a good start on Chopin études, but you'll still have a lot of work to do.