DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Sibelius Symphony No. 2 piano transcription

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by michaelgrant, Sep 23, 2017.

1. michaelgrant

michaelgrant New Member

Good day all.

I'm posting to let you know about a project I've completed recently, to assemble a solo piano transcription of Sibelius' 2nd Symphony (yes, the entire thing!). I've put together audio recordings of it which you can listen to on YouTube. Sadly they're only computer-generated (I did try and find real people to record it but none of them seemed to have time), but nevertheless I've tried to make them as musical as possible! Here's a link to the playlist:

I hope you enjoy.

2. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    This is something you've obviously put a fair bit of work into, so I'm reluctant to critcise, especially when in reality I'm not criticising your work per se.

My impression is that there isn't enough depth to the sound, nor enough colour. I strongly also suspect that my impression is highly influenced by the medium through which your score is being reproduced. I would very much like to hear this done on a grand piano and by someone who would be attentive to the various different orchestral colorations Sibelius generates. I can sense this issue even within the first minute; there isn't enough delineation between the warmth of the D maj introduction and the bustling vivacity which immediately follows. I do however want to be scrupulously fair and say that I am not finding fault with your arrangement. I hope you can find someone who will perform this. I don't see any arrangements listed on the opus transcribisticum database ( http://www.pianophilia.com/ot/ ) so you are definitely performing a worthy service by constructing your version.