Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Nov 7, 2013.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These is a rerecording of my earlier effort of a couple of years ago, which was pretty mediocre in every respect. This new version I believe makes a convincing case for Sibelius's neglected piano music. This is one of his nicest sets, which while not exactly world-shattering piano fare, deserves to be heard.

Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 1. Maisema (Landscape) (2:24)
    Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 2. Talvikuva (Winter Scene) (2:46)
    Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 3. Metsalampi (Forest Lake) (1:58)
    Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 4. Metsalaulu (Song in the Forest) (2:04)
    Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 5. Kevatnaky (Spring Vision) (2:07)

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    A little coincidence--I was recently playing through some Sivelius too. His Pensées Lyriques set, which I think has some nice pieces in it.
    Anyway, I don't know this set at all and didn't look at a score, so I just listened. It all sounds confidently played. I liked the fourth one best, except for that obtrusive page turn in the middle. Where is David? He should razz you about that... :wink:

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    By all means do, it's a bit lonely out there :)

I doubt David would hear it. I did not hear it myself until I turned the volume right up. I thought I'd done it so quietly as not to be audible, but even quietly turning a page makes too much noise. I suppose I can cut it out easily - that long 2-bar bass note is too short already and a split second less won't make much difference.

4. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member

Software Developer
    Yes, Sibelius is different! One of the first sets I heard on this site some years ago was the Sibelius suite in which each movement is a different tree. (If memory serves me right.) I ran right out and bought a copy (this was in the years when Pedelsen's was still open in NYC.)

I like this suite, and #4 especially, just like Monica. I did not hear a page turn through speakers at a volume that I can stand listening to. I don't remember your first recording of this; but this one sounds fine.

P.S. I just noticed that the "5 pieces" recording was yours. I really liked that one.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Stu. You would not hear the page turn because I've fixed it - just re-recorded those two bars and pasted them in. Now to wait if anybody (read: Monica) can hear the join :p

I think that set is his finest effort. It is a re-recording also. I wonder if I should redo it again, the sound quality seems not optimal.

6. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

For a late romantic, mostly orchestral composer, Sibelius wrote a surprising amount of piano music. These sketches offer many chromatic colors in the playing. I liked how you layered the music to highlight what was most important to the composer and listener. Although I'm unfamiliar with this set, I believe that you played them all with confidence and put them across well to the listener. Ah, about that page turn in No. 4 at 1:18, it wasn't too pronounced. I could hear it with headphones and the sound volume dial set at 12:00. It's not bad though. Mine are usually called something like "the hideous page turn" or similar. :lol: :lol: :lol: Right now I'm working on a three-pager, and the page turn occurs at an unfortunate moment. The score might not fit 8 1/2" X 11" format. When I go to my copier, I'm going to see if there is a reduction feature for fitting the pages into that format--maybe, maybe not. If I cannot mitigate it, I'll try to keep it as quiet as I can. :wink:

David

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David. I've gotten rid of that page turn since, even though it was quite unobtrusive.

Would you not consider repeating a few bars around the page turn and then cut it out in an audio editor ? You'd only have to
    memorize the last few bars before the page turn, and then play these after you've turned the page. I can do that edit for you if
    you wish (if it would not compromise your old-school standards, that is :p )

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

There is a quarter rest in the right hand on the following page which I haven't exploited the way I should. If I get slick, I might just be able to complete the turn on that rest to maintain the flow. I'll see if that might be the "old school" answer in this case. I do appreciate your offer to do an edit. I'll let you know how it works out.

David

9. andrew

andrew Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/andrewwright
    TWITTER:
    arpeggio_andrew
    YOUTUBE:
    alkanliszt
    Nice to hear these pieces, of which I was previously unaware. They don't especially grab me (I think no.4 comes across best) but in places the harmonic language is interestingly ambiguous. He doesn't strike me as a natural piano composer but I think you do well with the material.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Andrew. It is well known that Sibelius wrote most of his many piano pieces simply to pay the bills. A natural piano composer indeed he was not.
    Inspiration does not always run high, but some of his pieces are real charming, while others are shot through with glimpses of the 'real' Sibelius, rugged, enigmatic and headstrong.

11. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Well played! Thanks for bringing some Nordic gloom here. Perhaps I should play more Sibelius but his piano music never got under my skin (though I adore his later symphonies). The only thing I ever played is the Romance op 24:9.

I appreciate you did the full set, it is much more meaningful to listen to all of them in one go. And the final one projects more confident hopes, so it has to be my favourite!

Joachim

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Haha, I bet that is just what you needed in sunny sweltering south Sweden :D

Thank you for the feedback, anyway. I love his late symphonies too, although IMHO the early works are not to be sniffed at either (Kullervo, Karelia Suite, Symphonies 1 and 2). His piano music is getting a little more recognition these days.