Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Shostakovich

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by John Robson, Nov 18, 2008.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
  2. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Does the above post play for anyone else? I try to play them and get a screen that asks if I want to save or run them. I tried both, but they don't play for me. This was the third time I uploaded these today. I've never encountered this problem before. Help!

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    They played fine for me, John, and they are up on the site. I liked the second one best. The first one sounds plenty hard to play! Something strange happened at 0:52, though. Nice playing!

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This must be your computer being difficult, John. These links are just like the usual ones, nothing strange about them. If the files are there, which they evidently are, they should play. I'd say your browser is not set up correctly.

Why don't you save them to a directory and then play them with iTunes, Winamp, or Windows Media Player ?

5. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Browser?

Guess what? They play today, but I can play only one. Then I have to leave the Forum and return in order for another one to play. There is some kind of problem with the browser, I think. I always play my posts first in Windows Media Player before I post them. I also can't use Mozilla Firefox now which I like better than AOL. I don't know what's going on with my computer and/or the browsers.

Thanks for listening. Monica, I knew you'd like No. 3 better than the other two.

6. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi John,

These preludes don't seem entirely easy to play to me! Nice job performing them, John. They sound very good.

I too much prefer and use Mozilla Firefox rather than MS Internet Explorer (or MSN which is a clone of it), probably because I started on the Internet years ago using Netscape, now AOL-Netscape, and based on the Mozilla Firefox browser. About a year ago Firefox announced that Netscape would no longer be updated and supported at some future point. So what I did was abandoned Netscape, but not actually--I migrated to Mozilla Firefox itself to assure browser continuity, but designated AOL-Netscape as my home page. Works like a charm and the change is totally transparent.

When I first came to Piano Society, and when I'd click on an audio file, I'd get that gray bar in the center of the screen with the button that moves along it as the music plays. Problem was, sometimes it was a devil to get a file to play at all. It would stop almost immediately after starting, and a "Send error report" message would appear. So I clicked on "Read details"and discovered that that particular media player was for Macs... but I have a PC! So, to solve it, I went into Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, found the offending Mac program mentioned in the error report and deleted it. Then instantly like magic, Windows Media Player kicked into action as the default media player, as it does in every other application and at every other website. Problem solved. Now playing files at Piano Society is as easy as it should be.

I don't know if, where you also use Firefox, this might be the same bug you're encountering. If so, you can probably fix it the same way I did. Good luck on that!

David

7. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    It does, indeed, John. No.2 is a real beast of a piece, I tried to learn it and miserably failed, so I am happy now it's on the site. I managed to learn decently just three of the 24s and I realised that most of them are nasty. So you did a wonderful job. Also, you play these ones in a very interesting manner, your Shostakovich shows considerable amiability, which my Shostakovic doesn't have.

8. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Shosty

Thanks for listening. Alf, you couldn't be more wrong about your Shostakovich posts. I thought they were top notch performances. One of my favorites is No. 10 which you played so very beautifully. I'm afraid to even attempt it because of the trills in the RH while playing the melody at the same time with the RH. There must be some secret about that that I don't understand. I fooled with it, but couldn't come close to playing it well.

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Now, John and Alfonso, don't argue about who is the better Shostakovich interpreter :lol: Both your recordings of these prelude cycle are very good.
    John, anybody can hear these are not all all easy, especially the no. 2. Nothing wrong with your abilities if you can bring off this little devil like you do. As usual I 'd wish that your piano was better in tune. Having said that, I still prefer it to the arid sound of Alfonso's digital (sorry Alf, no criticism on your playing, just on the instrument).

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I forgot to mention that in bar 15 of no. 3 you play wrong LH notes on beats 3 and 4. Apart from that I did not notice anything strange. But I don't know these pieces very well so that doesn't count for much.

11. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Haha, you remind me of Winston Wolf in a memorable quote from Pulp Fiction. Hey, John, I just meant that your Shostakovich has a warm and amiable quality that mine doesn't have and this makes it interesting to my ears. But yes, it could be just the piano (digital vs acoustic), as Chris has already pointed out.

Guess what? It's difficult to disagree, particularly if one has to play it all the time, instead of listening to it now and then. :lol: