DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Shostakovich-Quintet Op. 47 (I.mov) Carmelo Giudice -Bernini

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by neopoiesis, Apr 13, 2007.

1. neopoiesis

neopoiesis New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Carnevale
    First Name:
    Roberto
    Dear Chris,
    I’m glad to send you another live-recording: Shostakovich-Quintet performed by Carmelo Giudice and Bernini Quartet. Carmelo Giudice is another my friend and an excellent pianist. I hope you like it.
    Ciao, Roberto Carnevale

Op.57 - Piano Quintet, I. Prelude

2. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Very good indeed of this beuatiful and dramatic Quintet's first movement, the prelude. However, I am pretty certain it should be Op.57 and no.47 ;).

I have nothing to complain about as the pianist as well as the 2 violin players, the viola player and the cellist are doing a very good job. I would very much like to here the other 4 movements and especially the difficult fugue.

The Quintet is his most popular chamber work and I think the scherzo is the most well known and appears in movies etc. The Quintet was performed first time in Moscow with Shostakovich himself at the piano and won the Stalin prize in 1941. The layout is as follows:

I. Prelude
    II. Fugue
    III. Scherzo
    IV. Intermezzo
    V. Finale

I have put up the recording on the site and am awaiting a biography of Carmelo Giudice.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, wonderfully played, and especially the pianist is excellent. The strings sound a bit less comfortabe to my ears, but I guess being a well-known ensemble, they are really good too. The only thing is they drown out the piano because the balance if favoured so much towards them - as if the microphones are mounted inside their instruments. But perhaps that can't be avoided in a live recording. Wold be great if we could have the other movements as well, and perhaps some solo repertoire by Mr. Guidice ?

4. neopoiesis

neopoiesis New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Carnevale
    First Name:
    Roberto
    Carmelo Giudice biography and photo

5. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I have now added the complete Piano Quintet and I am extremely happy that you convinced Carmelo to share the entire Quintet. It is incredible well played and especially (and my favourite) the beautiful Fugue which is adorable. Congratulate Carmelo and the Bernini Quintet from Piano Society for this wonderful interpretation of the difficult music of "the golden boy" Shostakovich.

I will not comment on the movements individually in the other topic but just replace the attachments with the link to the recording on the site.