Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Several shorter Liszt transcriptions

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by jlr43, Sep 5, 2015.

1. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    My performances of some shorter Liszt transcriptions that I thought would work well alongside the Annees. The first, Abschied, I guess really isn't a transcription at all but one of Liszt's reworkings of a national theme, in this case a Russian folk tune. The "In the Spring" is based on a Chopin song that Liszt transcribed as part of the six Chants polonais; it's a mysterious, lugubrious melody.
    Last but not least are Liszt's transcription of two pieces from the Mozart Requiem, the Confutatis Maledictis and Lacrimosa, which, as with most Liszt's transcriptions, are brilliantly realized orchestrally on the piano. Until a couple years ago, when I found the score on IMSLP, I hadn't known about these and am surprised they aren't more frequently played.

P.S. I decided to master the sound more on these recordings in response to some of the comments I've received on that issue (and talked with one of my friends who knows a lot more about audio than I do). Hopefully, this should be better and clearer.

Thanks for listening,

Joe

Chopin-Liszt - "In the Spring"

Liszt - Abschied

Mozart-Liszt - "Confutatis Maledictis" and "Lacrimosa" from Requiem

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Very nice, Joe. I especially liked the Chopin transcription!
    These are on the site. If you give me the S numbers on the two transcriptions, I'll add them onto the table (members need to provide ALL the information from now on.... :) ).

3. jlr43

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Thanks, Monica. Yes, I wondered about the S. numbers but then wasn't sure whether we were using them. The Chopin transcription is No. 2 in S. 480, and the Requiem pieces are S. 550.

4. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I enjoyed these - I know the first two but not the Mozart transcription. Convincing playing and the sound seemed good as well. Curiously, I thought the Lacrimosa wasn't as good a setting as Thalberg's. Nothing to do with your playing, even if by implication I'm comparing you against Katsaris: I felt Thalberg's setting retained more innate classicism and Liszt's was a bit more melodramatic.

5. jlr43

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Thanks, Andrew. Interesting -- I don't know the Thalberg. Did he transcribe the entire Requiem or just these two pieces as well? I'll have to check it out.

I suppose I'd argue that the Requiem is rather melodramatic at core (which made it very popular with the Romantics). An interesting debate, though, vis-a-vis romanticism versus classicism in such a multifarious composer as Mozart, especially in these late works.

6. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Just the Lacrimosa.

http://imslp.org/wiki/L%27art_du_chant_ ... gismond%29

(an interesting collection, incidentally, and not quite what one would expect from preconceptions of Thalberg - I happen to think the two Bellini transcriptions are beautifully done)

It's no.5 of the set.

Katsaris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4kMFjGe-5c

Re romanticism v classicism, I'd argue that Thalberg's compositions are much more rooted in classicism than Liszt's. Liszt was of course a far greater composer.

7. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    I thought you played the Mozart well, but it just does not move me in this form. It's difficult to capture the power of a chorus on the piano.
    IMHO, it's difficult to mess with Mozart at all and hope for an improvement over his original.

8. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    To Liszt-Chopin, Im Frühling: a very poetical performance with nice dynamic and agogic. I have a score with a german translation of the text by Stefan Witwicki, which is very nice.

To "Abschied": also very expressively played with good dynamic differences and shadowing. 15 bars before the end you play the progression of a,g,a,c onetimes too much, but that´s minor and fits to the poetical manner of the piece. :wink:

To the Requiem-trancription: I have listened here also with score and it´s a very interesting transcription. Your performance is excellent! I like the clarity you have worked out all the motifs, a very conscious and adequate use of the pedal. I have enjoyed that very much!