DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Setrak Setrakian - Identified recordings

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by robert, May 2, 2007.

1. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Dear Piano Society members,

As you know, the truth about some of Setrak's recordings has been uncovered, and I encourage you all to attempt to identify more of "his" recordings. We must take this very seriously, as submitting faked recordings violates our Terms And Conditions and may even be a criminal offense. Also, many large and small music labels have been tricked, and I think it is our duty to narrow down this fake. I will personally contact other sites to warn them about this.

While I must take down all links on the actual site, I will leave all topics with music he has uploaded in the Audition Room so you can still download them from there. If possible, post a comparison of wave forms, like Chaotica did, as that is sufficient legal proof.

I will also write an article and post it on the site with more details.

So far, I know about the following recordings:
    - Prokofiev - Toccata Op.11 - Martha Argerich
    - Prokofiev recording op.82 (sonata) - Martha Argerich.
    - Warsaw Concerto - Copy of a midi file by Eric Halstead ((c) Eric Halstead, so it's legally copyrighted).
    - Shostakovich Piano Trio - Recording on Erato by Yablonsky, Berezovsky, and Repin.

2. Kschyschtoff

Kschyschtoff New Member

sound engineering
    Is there any way to listen to fake recordings? All of them are deleted from the server...

3. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    http://www.family-schmidt-minden.de
    I am shocked!

This kind of fake I find even more unserious than presenting midi files as "real" played pieces. Because the midi files need at least own work to make them, but presenting pieces playes by others as own achievement is scam, also from the legal action side!

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    For further understanding, have a look at the CD reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... tthecl-20/

and note the similarities in style, syntax, and spelling of these 5-star reviews. Also note the number of total reviews of each of these persons ... Some dedicated fans indeed :roll:

5. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    I'd like to know who "Joseph Tohme" is. He is among the reviewers on Amazon and has created setrakian.net (if he exists, of course). And is the existance of Setrak Antoine Setrakian himself confirmed? I mean this name is just to funny to be real, after all. On the other hand, "Setrak Setrakian" hits 10.200 times with Google. This is a bit too much for a fake name.

No, the're still up. The pianist page of Setrakian is gone, but you can still browse the forum and find the links.

But I think it might useful if you, Robert or Chris, compiled a list with all the recordings submitted by S. and posted it here or anywhere on the site. That would make it easier for people to find more fakes.

6. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Maybe you, Mr. Robert, should ditch all the mp3s and require video files as the standard :?:

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes now that you mention it !
    My guess is all these reviews are written by our man himself as the style and spelling is exactly like his postings on this forum.

Well these hits are largely all the same, he has posted his stuff and his bio all over the web. I think the name is a quite common Armenian name. But on the web we can only verify a man's existence by what he posts. There is actually one video of him on YouTube, composing at the piano. Pretty boring and does not prove he is a supervirtuoso.

I'll tell you an undocumented feature of our site. In this link

http://server3.pianosociety.com/all.html

you find a nightly updated list of ALL recordings we have. You can double-click on the 'Pianist' header to sort on pianist, and then you have all recordings at a glance.

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    But then I would have to get out of my pj's when I do my recording. :)

9. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Oh, didn't know that. Thank you.

Btw, this "Ganatchian Music College" must be closely related to Mr S. I did a another Google search with the following results:

- ' "ganatchian music college" ' hits 1120 times
    - ' "ganatchian music college" setrakian ' hits 1040 times
    - ' "ganatchian music college" -setrakian' hits 6 times

:roll:

10. Juliapiano

Juliapiano New Member Piano Society Artist

pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Froschhammer
    First Name:
    Julia
    http://www.juliafroschhammer.com
  11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I was the only one knowing that... I'd all but forgotten I created that page. I'll add a link some day.

Yeah I know, I greatly doubt it even exists. I tried to find out whether it exists or not but no luck
    so far. Emailed the Dutch embassy in Beirut (only contact I could find) but they never replied.
    The other two schools/colleges mentioned in his curriculum don't seem to exist either. Except that Yerevan conservatory, that does exist. But I could not find any evidence of his piano teacher there.
    Also significant that S. is never mentioned anywhere as having been anyone's teacher.

12. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Actually! I am now pretty surprised when looking at these videos (on a train with Internet hicks so I can watch only 3 seconds by time). No doubt that guy can play. Not sure what to think anymore.

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: Setrakian

I watched that one too. Doesn't look as if he is writing notes to me... Interesting feedback there:

Yeah that guy can play indeed. But it could be anyone. From what I can see he does not look at all like Setrakian (compare with a young photo on his website to see my point). And for sure it is not Rach's 2nd sonata as advertised, but the middle movement from the Symphonic Dances.

That is embarassing really. Awful instrument and awful piece of improvised music. It does not prove anything at all about his playing capabilities.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Setrakian

I got the very same impression! A single sheet of paper and so disconnected bits of music... seems as if he was improvising while acting some kind of refinement on the score.

Definitely not Rach 2nd Sonata indeed.

Again, I agree.

15. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    If the rabbit does not return, the hunter knows that the rabbit was scared off.

Basically, if Mr. Setrakian does not respond within 2 or so days and defends his position, we know that he is truly a fake. A genuine person would not run away scared.

Until then....the suspense builds! muahaha

16. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    http://www.geocities.com/johnmarshome/

I think your idol is gone. escaped in cave. :lol:

My psychological analysis for this kind motive to duplicate "fake" recordings(if its true up to date) is that Mr. setrak, once tried to be famous or a top concert pianist, but due to serveral faliure in life or suffered a mental break down. and the only way to make himself famous was to "reverse engineer" the music files. using the latest technology. or pehaps, he damaged his fingers??? like Schuman did.

Just like USA did the reverse engineering on the allien technology. Unfortunately, he did too many of them and got caught out. :lol:

Why dnt we contact his web organizer to get a quick respond??

As for Video files....dammm, if this going to be a standard for future....It would leave me out for at 2 years...I need to save up for a dvd panosonic recorder with external an microphone plug.... this could be very time consumming...

Some of us may be too shy to be recorded on video, because I wear no tops :lol:

17. Nicole

Nicole New Member Piano Society Artist

Piano Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Muller
    First Name:
    Nichole
    http://www.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=397
    Gee whiz, John!!! I really was just kidding about that bikini thing way back on the "Post your own Picture" part of the forum. What in the world is going on here today at this site? I must have woken up and am in Twilight Zone. First the Setrak thing, and then I read that Monica does her recordings in pajamas, John does his recordings without his shirt, etc. Heaven for me to know there are a few other pianists in this world who are as eccentric as I am. Bless you all!!!
    N

18. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    http://www.geocities.com/johnmarshome/
    yes, you are in twlight zone. In summer, if no visitors around. I train with out top on, so as most of time at home. But in winter, just the same unless its super cold.(very rarely in australia).

This idea was from a movie...old one, 20 yeras old...about a piano competition made by USA, one of the scene was a black man(competitor) training....completely naked.... The winner was a lady playing Mozart. I have forgotten the name of the movie. I am sure, some of us have seemed it.

19. Cydonia

Cydonia New Member

Well, this reminds me of another fellow - forgot what was his nickname here - who was here posting an almost abnormal amount of good recordings in a very short time, then proved to be a liar from A to Z. Same individual with a new nickname? Another case of similar cheat? It doesn't matter to me. So lamentable and pathetic. :x

I prefer uploading a good recording every once in a while but a real one from myself. 8)

OK, OK, I'll try to record more than once a year. :D

20. Cydonia

Cydonia New Member

Also, IMHO if one person is found to have uploaded only one recording that proved to be from someone else while pretending it's from him/her, I would not even bother identify the rest of that person's recordings. I would plainly delete everything and proceed with a ban. Why lose time to find out about the other recordings origin. Call me strict if you want. Of course, opinions may vary. :wink: