Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Scriabin - Preludes

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Jun 12, 2009.

1. aryobrand

aryobrand New Member

Home Page:
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

From here!

... Sorry Monica for answering this for you (but I'm so proud of the job you've done). I'll let you answer the rest of her questions ... :D

Love is the law, love under will.
    Aryobrand

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you Hye-Jin. Really, I just randomly chose to play some Scriabin because I had not done so before. And then when I asked for some guidance, I received such wonderful help from our member here, aryobrand. He helped me choose the pieces to start with and gave me advice on what to look for in Scriabin's music, etc....

My piano is the same, but I did change the placement of my recorder. I'm glad you said it sounds good, because I'm never sure about these things.

And btw - Any baby pictures you can show us? How is she doing? How are You doing?

Michael - You're sweet. I wanted to record that Poeme piece this week, but got delayed. Maybe next week. Again - it's another piece I wouldn't have known about had it not been for you. Thank you!

3. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Aryobrand, you seem to be a real Scriabin-connoisseur!

Monica, you already saw the pics I posted, didn't you? Thanks for the reply in the General forum :)

Thanks for asking. After the birth of the baby I have some light pain at my wrists and from the repeated carrying the baby it doesn't heal. Hmmm... Did you also have this problem with hands? And my baby is very healthy, but has constipations... Because of that she crys very much today :(

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No, I did not have pain in my wrists from carrying my babies. That is a little worrisome, I think. Did you have any pain before you had your baby – you know, like pain when you practiced piano? It almost seems to me that if you say you did not have any pain, then possibly you were on the verge of developing tendonitis and now the matter of carrying your baby a lot has brought it out. Maybe try carrying Sol-Jin in other positions. I most often put my babies to sleep by holding them with their head on my shoulder while I paced up and down the hallway. Or if you do hold them like a cradle, then do it when you are sitting. Both of these positions should not put too much pressure or strain on your wrists.

As to a cranky baby due to constipation – in the US we have the term ‘colic’ or ‘colicky baby’, which is when an infant baby cries a lot and seems to be experiencing gas pains. Maybe that is what your daughter has. Do you breast feed? I breast fed both my sons – the first one I breast fed exclusively for the first six months. My second son I breast fed for only about three months and then introduced the bottle. What is interesting to me is that my second son has some food allergies; one being a severe peanut allergy. My first son does not have these allergies. You are probably getting tons of advice on caring for your daughter, but here is another one: If you are using formula, maybe simply switching to another brand of formula will cure your baby’s digestive trouble.

5. camaysar

camaysar New Member

Musician
    Well Monica, I finally got around to listening to this (you know how it is... so much life, so little time!). I must say, I loved it. You have a way with simplicity that is very attractive. Your playing often has an appealing naivete (sp??), and that works very well here. I especially liked op. 16 #3, but I do love that piece!

I feel that you should stay with these pieces, as you have not yet fully "absorbed" them, to varying degrees. Scriabin's music takes time before it truly becomes a part of you - that is, until there is no separation between the player and the music. Chances are you can feel that yourself (that you have not yet absorbed them). Everyone must go through that process, with all music; it just takes a bit longer with even (especially!) the simplest of Scriabin's pieces. But you are well on your way, that's for sure. Very enjoyable playing!

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, James. I'm sure you are right about living with pieces longer so that they become more fully absorbed. My problem is that I am constantly wanting to work on new pieces - like it's a drug and I need a 'fix'. Therefore, I don't keep working on pieces for long because then I would not have enough time to work on anything else. I know it's not a great practice; I just get bored so easily.

7. aryobrand

aryobrand New Member

Home Page:
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

You shouldn't be too hard on yourself for this practice, especially if you think about the benefits that this can produce. As long as you keep learning new pieces to the point that you never memorize them, this is an EXCELLENT practice for learning to sight-read/improving sight-reading skills. As a matter of fact, as I mentioned in my bio, during High School Ron Mesa would come in to the music room (where I could usually be found) during lunch and throw multiple brand new pieces of music for me to sight-read on the piano stand. Even though these were usually Broadway Musical numbers and Vocal Jazz Pieces, this practice forced me to constantly be sight-reading. Because I endured through that every day, I can now sight-read fairly complex pieces and play them decently at first sight. I found that a trick that works for me is to keep certain music for longer, more in-depth studies (the stuff you're working on to record), and never let yourself begin to memorize/learn fully the sight-reading material. The major problem that I have with this method is that after a while you start to memorize the sight-reading material even though you're not trying. In this way I've almost got down the entire Bach:Wohl-Temperierte Clavier both parts, etc. :wink:

Love is the law, love under will.
    Aryobrand

P.S.: Monica, let me know on the other thread how you're coming with the other Scriabin pieces...

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow! Well, I don't think I'll ever have the problem of memorizing something when I don't want to. My memory is pretty terrible lately. Interesting game plan you have, though. Maybe I do sight read half-way decently since I play so much. Just never thought about it that way, before. Thanks, Michael.