Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Scriabin - Mazurkas op.40

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Chaotica, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Tempo is problematic with these pieces. The metronome markings are ridiculously fast (have a look into the IMSLP score I attached) and I tried to play at that tempo, but I failed to make it sound enjoyable. I wonder how Scriabin himself did that. :?

Nevertheless, I tried to come close. I hope it doesn't sound rushed. Please comment!

Scriabin - Op.40 no.1, Mazurka in D-flat major
    Scriabin - Op.40 no.2, Mazurka in F-sharp major

Scriabin - Op.40 no.1, Mazurka in D-flat major - Sheet
    Scriabin - Op.40 no.2, Mazurka in F-sharp major - Sheet

2. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Scriabin

It sounds very good to me and not at all rushed. I didn't check with my metronome, but I don't believe you were quite as fast as it is marked. However, the tempo sounded appropriate for a mazurka. Bravo for a job well done.

By the way, I'm not sure why these two pieces are considered mazurkas. Is it because of the melodic stress on the second beat?

3. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Thank you for your quick answer.

Yes, I think so. But in the second piece, the emphasis seems to be mostly on the third beat. Besides that, I guess the composer himself wrote "Mazurkas" on the manuscript... :wink:

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Those were very nice - great playing. But both pieces are so lovely, I wouldn't want them to speed along so much.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Splendid playing, a real quality job ! I am not an unconditional Scriabin fan, but these are lovely pieces. I had not heard them before :oops:. Great sound too, a nice burnished tone that does not sound the least digital (unlike some of your earlier recordings). Another equalizer setting ? I'd stick to this if I were you, in any case for repertiore like this. In fact this is the sort of sound that makes me want for a digital when I hear my grand slowly drifting out of tune.....

6. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Yes indeed splendid. Played with grace and elegance and lovely to listen to. Great job and I have put them up.

7. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    No, I used the same settings as with Schubert, Balakirev and Dvorak. A bit Bass Boost and GVerb and the headphone output of the piano. I'm happy with the sound as well and I stick with it. (And thank heaven you haven't heard these pieces before. I have a recording of Artur Pizarro, who plays them in 2:27 and 2:02, while I'm rushing through both of them in 1:26... :p )

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I guess he must be playing them at half the metronome marks then... Yours sounded not at all rushed.

9. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    His recording isn't bad, much more dreamy. But the first one isn't an allegro anymore, really. I guess it's how Sandro would play it... :p

Myself, I don't like metronome marks at all, especially if they are by the composer.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> In fact this is the sort of sound that makes me want for a digital when I hear my grand slowly drifting out of tune.....

:cry: Don't write so! I have just bought a grand and I feel it will make me mad (more than now).
    That sound volume, the acoustic relation with the small room where I may place it, the new recording problems, the pedals I'm not able to use (in my digital to play with or without pedal
    is not SO different as with a grand), etc.. and you write also of the tuning... :cry: :cry: :cry:

All best,
    Sandro

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> I guess it's how Sandro would play it... :p

You play them very well. In my opinion (built by my taste and by the knowlege of
    my favourite "scriabinian" pianist, firt of all Scriabin himself) a little more freedom and
    richness both in tempo and dynamic are welcome here, but 1) it's a question of tastes
    2) is surely good for you to be not so near to my choices :)
    3) You, at the age of 20, are focused on music (in "creative" sense, that it's not always the same of "professional") . It's a question of love for music and intelligence
    to realize that our interest for music is important also if we are not pro. Neither common nor easy
    to know this thing at your age. Bravo for this, for your repertoire choices
    and for your playing. The sound of your digital is good: not excellent as an excellent grand well
    tuned, in the correct ambience ad well recorded, but one can comprehend your ideas and also
    a good 80-90% of your piano technique.

> Myself, I don't like metronome marks at all,

Well told. Yesterday (I did not know it before) I heard the LvB op.57 played
    by Glenn Gould. The "Allegro assai" was a sort of "Andantino", but what a wonderful playing
    (more ordinary in the final movement).

All best,
    Sandro

12. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Well, thank you for your ideas! :)

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's a little problem for all us who play on a digital: to use a sound, and do not create it.
    For this reason I speak of "idea" (in the sense of intention) more than reality.
    Because the reality of the sound is pre-fixed in the samples (but this "fee" permits other
    advantages, that you and I and all the "digital-pianists" here well know and use).

All best, and again congratulations,
    Sandro.

P.S: Soon I'll upload 2 Scriabin Mazurkas I recorded in the last months.