Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Rachfan, Jul 20, 2012.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Listened to this a couple of days ago but didn't have time to comment. Very nicely played, well phrased and full of colour and well-judged rubato. However, the file has now somehow disappeared (re-listened via the recording at pianostreet) and is showing up as 0.00 on the new recordings..?!

2. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I tried to listen to your recording, David, but it doesn't work here, either.

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Re: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1 HELP!

Hi Chris, Monica, or Riley

Andrew and Hye-Jin notified me that the original recording I posted here was not functioning. I tried to play it just now and all you get is a series of clicks. I reloaded it, but could not delete the original file. Can you please assist to restore this? Thanks!

Hye-Jin, in the meantime you can click on the second file showing the paperclip to hear the piece. Thanks for your patience!

David

4. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Re: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1 HELP!!!

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you were able to play the file a couple of days ago, but sorry to hear you had to go to another website to hear it again. I've left word with Monica about the problem, so hopefully it can be rectified.

Thanks you for your compliments on my playing of this album leaf. Coming from you it means a lot to me.

David

5. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Everyone,

Good news! Monica reloaded the music file, so it works fine now. Thanks again, Monica.

David

6. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    David, I finally could listen to it (and did it many times :D ). Just as Andrew wrote, your phrasing, rubato and the colors you put into this little piece must be highly praised! Just a little nag would be about the dynamic. To my ears, the process from the piano to the poco forte building a climax is admittedly very well executed through the agogic etc., but regarding the dynamic not so dramatic as I wished myself. I know it could be your artistic choice or it could be just the home-recording equipment, but I'm just pointing it out, since I know your devotion to the music and your capability.

I would like to add that at this occasion I searched the words "Album leaf" in internet (I was wondering what is the origin of this naming) and found a satisfactory answer based on the Grove Dictionary in the Wikipedia: "Originally, the term "Album leaf" was used for pieces written in dedication to a friend or admirer, to be inserted into their album or autograph book, and not intended for publication. It later lost any association with a particular dedicatee." :)

7. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Hye-Jin

Thanks so much for listening. On your suggestion, we think alike; however I was trying not to test my luck too much with the dynamic. What I mean by that is that most people play the piece at pp to p with the one f played more like mf. I purposely exceeded those boundaries, as I felt the music had more potential. I've been criticized elsewhere by one or two pianists as playing it too aggressively. Nonetheless I think my different interpretation stands out, and I'm glad of it.

I've always thought of an album leaf as an old picture or photo in an album that conjures memories for the observer which is then reflected in the music and playing.

I appreciate your feedback.

David

8. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Think of that most famous of album-leaves, though not called so: Fuer Elise! Not meant for publishing and found among the papers of this Elise. But it was called a "Bagatelle"!

9. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Richard,

Indeed. The descriptor is vague, thus begging that the music itself be heard in order to speak for itself. In the same way that a prelude, intermezzo, morceau, lyric piece, song without words, or moment musicaux, will not reveal their secrets by title alone, similarly the album leaf could hold a surprise or two. And if the album leaf suggests an image to the pianist, the image it conjures for a listener could be quite different owing to differing life experiences.

David