DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

Scriabin and Prokofiev

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here are some other recordings of mine:

4 Scriabin's short pieces of his early period (in the impromptus he seems to study the sistematic
    and written anticipation of the bass).
    The 2 impromptus are among the legendary Sofronitzki's recordings of his father-in-law compositions,
    and this is a modest and personal tribute to them.
    There is also a Prokofiev piece from his own piano transcription of the suite "Romeo and Juliet".
    It's a sad scene, where human hate and adverse fate get the upper hand: "Romeo and Juliet
    before parting".

Prokofiev - Op.75 no.10, Romeo and Juliet just before parting
    Scriabin - Op.11 no.15, Prelude in D-flat major
    Scriabin - Op.11 no.24, Prelude in D minor
    Scriabin - Op.12 no.2, Impromptu in B-flat minor
    Scriabin - Op.14 no.2, Impromptu in F-sharp minor

Thank you,
    Sandro "Sarrasani" Bisotti

2. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Ah wonderful! This is even better than your Beethoven and Chopin recordings. Not in technical performance but in interpretation. Just by incident, I put the Prokofiev first and the Op.12 impromptu after each other and could not help notice that they begin with the same two keys (even though it differs a bit in the chords) :).

I particularly enjoyed your Scriabin recordings which catches the mood and the myth of this very special man who lived a difficult life and struggled his way through it. You must have been studying these pieces carefully and planned your interpretations very well. Congratulations!

The recordings are up in the site.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have not heard the Scriabin's yet but I can comment on the Prokofiev which I know quite well.
    Again I admire your insight and individual way of performing. The tone and touch are beautiful and technically there is nothing you cannot handle.

But what bothers me in this performance that the hands are almost never synchronized. There are whole streches where it sounds as if LH and RH are out of phase by half a note or so. Not sure if this is just the old style of left-before-right playing (or is that right-before-left, I'm not sure) but it seems to me too much of a good thing. The arpeggios sound a bit unusual in places, and I think you play some arpeggios where they are not written (though I could be wrong, have not got the score at had right now). You could be more careful with the sustaining pedal, there are some rather murky blurs like I noticed at 1:36, 4:52, 5:00 and 5:48. If that is intentional, forgot I said it !
    At 1:34 I seem to hear some wrongly read notes but I'll need to check - perhaps I always played it wrong. Lastly, the great romantic recapitulation seems to be lacking in sweep and passion, it sounds a bit laboured. The code is beautifully done.

All in all, a good performance of this piece which is far more difficult than it sounds. Any objections I made are probably just personal taste and one can't argue about that.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I listened to the Scriabin's as well. Masterfully played, and I can not find anything to niggle about except that sometimes you leave the pedal down far too long and create an ugly harmonic blur. Of course Scriabin should never sound dry, but some care should be taken here and there.

The right-before-left is also prominent here though, as you say, this suits the nervous music of Scriabin better than the more exact and neoclassical Prokofiev. I did not know the Impromptus so I can not decide how much influence this has - it sounded a bit disjointed at times but could be that is how it's written). In the Preludes, a set which I dearly love, you do it very idiomatically and discreetly. Great job on these nast LH octaves here. A shame though, how you cut off the closing chord of the last prelude instead of letting it ring out properly. Is that not possible on a digital ? I guess here is such a moment when one longs for a 'real' piano sound.

But really, nothing but praise for these :D

6. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    My admiration was based on the Scriabin pieces which are executed beautifully with, according to my view, very little extra to wish for. My experience with the Prokofiev piano transcription is zero when it comes to playing it and 1 when it comes to listening so I rest my case there.

But I am very happy you recorded the much neglected Scriabin impromptus!