DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

Schumann: Romance in F#

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by John Robson, Apr 26, 2007.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Schumann: Romance in F#, Op. 28, No.2

A beautiful work, but more difficult for me to play than it should be. It takes a lot of control and concentration for a spastic chap like me to play it. When I listen, I always say things like, "That note was too loud." "Why didn't I take more time on that phrase?" "Geeze! Why'd I do that?" etc. ad infin.
    Comments welcome!

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That was so nice. I listened with my eyes close since I didn't have the score, and also have never played this. You played the beginning and end pretty sections very gently and controlled the tone well. I'm going to have to listen to this piece again, as I think it may already be working its way onto my 'list of pieces to play someday'.

btw. Your piano sounded fine to me today. I also had mine tuned within a two month time-frame. Made my piano tuner happy but at the same time he wondered why I had called him as it wasn't that bad off. Oh well.

And I know what you mean about listening back to yourself. It's worse though (for me anyway) when I listen to something I recorded a while ago. I usually hate it and wish I could re-record everything.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Very romantic played and you have a soft tone that fits very well to the composition. You choose a tempo which is significantly slower than I am used to hear and it would be interesting to hear your idea about that. In this tempo, the similarities to Beethoven's first movement of Op.27 no.2 is getting more obvious.

Schumann composed his three romances of Op.28 in 1839. One year before he married Clara Wieck and even though these works bears no dedication, one cannot help believe that he had Clara in mind when he composed his romances. Clara's father was against the marriage at first as he considered Clara be too young and Robert's career too vague but at the time of composition of these three works, Clara and Robert had made there plan how to marry without his permission. Being not among Schumann's more famous works, the set of three romances should not be neglected and are typical works of the time by Robert.

The recording is up on the site.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is beautiful indeed ! A bit slow to my taste but not too much so, once you get into it. This piece is certainly much harder than in sounds, I guess partly because of the key signature and the wide intervals. The only thing to possibly nag about is that some notes seem to be inaudible in the first part. Also, I thought perhaps at this slow tempo, the exposition repeat should better be skipped. But that is debatable of course.
    Your piano sounds great again too. Very well done.

6. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    http://www.myspace.com/tobiassing
    Very beautiful, John! This is a wonderfully poetic piece of music and you serve it very well. To me, the tempo sounded just right, it is like a dream.

7. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Romance

Robert, thanks so much for the information on the Romances. Very interesting.

I have never heard this Romance performed which is one reason I posted it. The tempo is marked Andante with a quarter note = 69 in my edition. That is what I tried to do, but perhaps it was bit slower. Also in my version there is no repeat of the exposition although it is written out. Did that make sense? What I mean is it was no repeat was written. As for inaudible notes...sorry 'bout dat. That's what is so difficult for me in this piece: trying to play it softly enough without having inaudible notes. I didn't quite succeed.

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: Romance

Ah but you are definitely getting better. I am just extra alert on this because I suffer from the same problem. One or two occurrences per recording is nothing to worry about.