Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schumann Quintet performed by C. Giudice & Bernini Quart

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by neopoiesis, Oct 12, 2007.

1. neopoiesis

neopoiesis New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Carnevale
    First Name:
    Roberto
  2. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

Which piece is this (opus number, etc.)? I'm not too familiar with Schumann's music, so I don't really know too much about this. I listened to the first movement so far, and it sounds very good!!

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Wow! :shock: Great recording! Great recording equipment! Confident artists. The cellist plays beautifully. Give them my complements.

-jg

but somehow I don't understand the 5th attachment. Just for fun?

4. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Schumann

A beautiful performance! I thoroughly enjoyed hearing this quintet again.

What a coincidence! I went to a concert last night at Festival Miami and the first piece on the program was the Allegro Brilliante (last movement). It was fun to compare the two performances. Last night's concert was performed by the Bergonzi Quartet with Shelton Berg at the piano.

5. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Yes Roberto, please specify the opus?

Thanks for sharing again, neo. I thoroughly enjoyed every sound!

Looking forward to your next submission,
    Pete

6. neopoiesis

neopoiesis New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Carnevale
    First Name:
    Roberto
    Schumann Piano-Quintet in Eb for piano, two violins, viola, and cello, Op.44 .
    5th att.: Stille Nacht (Arr. Schnittke): Giudice & Bernini (bis)
    ciao Roberto

7. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    The last movement is of course not included in the Schumann's Quintet :D. It is a Quintet rewrite of Silent Night (direct translated from Swedish). Actually, very interesting transcription which puts a gloomy and dark shade of the otherwise uplifting and white celebration of Jesus.

I really love this Quintet as I seem to do with most Piano Quintets. Strange enough, composers seem to only compose one but also succeed of making it one of their most popular works. Take for instance Shostakovich and his Piano Quintet. That is an amazing work, one of the best ever chamber music ever composed.

Returning to the subject. The course of the first movement is the interplay of the brilliant opening statement and its derivations, with the lovely, coy cantabile melody. The remaining three movements all have the quality of character pieces about them. This would, by no means, be a negative comment to Schumann, who himself saw Bach’s Preludes and Fugues as lofty character pieces. The Second movement is marked "In the manner of a March," a somewhat spooky and somewhat close to a funeral march. In the third movement we have the nineteenth century version of "Raggin’ the Scale". The final exciting movement is packed with Schumann’s own style of contrapuntal devices, canons and fugato passages and a wild horseman or two.

The Quintet was dedicated to his beloved wife, piano virtuoso Clara Schumann, who made it a staple of her repertoire. Clara was a sought after performer, and though she championed her husband’s works, Robert often had trouble being the spouse of a celebrity. In one fit of pique, he cruelly criticized her performance of the quintet, angrily proclaiming that only a man could properly understand the work.

Notes on this piece would probably not be complete with out the following anecdote concerning, some say the first, some say the second, performance of this work- take your pick. In any case, the story goes that Clara Schumann became ill on the day of the scheduled performance. As you listen to the work think about this: Schumann’s idol Felix Mendelssohn sat in for Clara, and sight-read the piano part. Mendelssohn was very impressed with the work, but suggested that Schumann re-write the second Trio in the scherzo movement – something livelier. Schumann obliged.

The live performance itself is extremely well performed and I have a feeling it was not the first performance of this Quintet for these fives? Carmelo plays the piano excellent and this could go for any professional recording and I am very proud to host them on Piano Society!

They are up on the site! (not sure what to do with the "5:th movement" though)

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Silent Night is one of my favorite Christmas songs. When we sing it at church, I cry. When my entire family gathers at home on Christmas eve to play music together, I cry. It's just so beautiful that I can't help it. I've also heard it a million different ways. But this arrangement...wow...really different. But I like it. Doesn't make me cry, but to me it kind of portends what happens to Jesus later on. It has that morbid feel to it.

Robert S. - what do you think about adding a category called "Holiday Music"? This could then go in there,(maybe all the applause at the end could be cut?) and I bet other members have interesting arrangements of Christmas or other holiday music they could record and submit.