DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Schumann Kinderszenen, Der Dichter spricht

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by PJF, Mar 25, 2007.

1. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    All comments and discussion are very welcome!

Pete

2. schmonz

schmonz Amitai Schlair Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schlair
    First Name:
    Amitai
    At first the tempo felt like it would have to be too slow, but I was pretty quickly persuaded. This sounds almost otherworldly. Bravo!

3. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Thanks! I did't play it, I dreamed it.

Pete

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Beautiful, Pete.
    The copy I looked at has no tempo marking. Therefore, you are the Poet and can speak however fast or slow you want.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That was beautiful indeed, in terms of touch, expression and dynamics. Very poetic !

Some observations though :

- My Peters score as the tempo as 112 to a quarter note. That is more than twice as fast as you play it :shock: That seems rather brisk... I guess the truth must be found somehwre in between - your version is IMO really too slow.

In bars 6 and 18, you must let go of the G sharp after the end of the 2nd beat. Unless your score has it as a full note - in mine it's a half. Actually I have always wondered why Schumann did not write an extra A here to resolve that G sharp - perhaps it was not meant to be resolved.

I am not sure what you are doing in the middle of the cadenza. You may want to check up on that.

And lastly, I did not hear the B in the final chord. Do you have to roll or jump to play that ?

6. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Thanks for the kind words, everybody!

Chris, all your observations are spot-on. You must have a really big headache!

Indeed, I'm not sure why I did a couple of odd things to the cadenza. I probably could take it a bit faster, too. About the omitted B, my thumb pressed the key so gently, I didn't give the hammer enough momentum to make any sound! I'll just have to fix it, then.

Incidentally, I can reach the chord, no problem; maybe if I rolled it, the notes would sound more reliably. There's a fine line between a very softly played tone and no tone at all. (Or I could be an artsy-fartsy smartass and say it was a ppppppppp.) :lol:

Pete

7. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Schumann

I liked it even this slow. It makes it sound more mystic.

Good idea with the "pppppppppp" dynamic comment. I'm going to steal it from you as the lack of sound often happens to me when I try to play pianissimo.

8. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    At first it sounded unusual slow to me but it is not impossible slow. Double the tempo would be too fast, maybe a slightly faster tempo would easen to pecept the melody still as a line and not as single notes.

I think Chris is right, especially for those slow pieces should be every note there.

I don't think it is easy to play that calm and soft. In fact, very soft and nevertheless evenly playing shows who has truely relaxed hands and fingers combined with sensitive hearing and who has not, so I think (of course also a question of an appropriate piano too). You have a VERY good keytouch, combined with good technique, what your Chopin Etudes show. You are still young and will go very far, that's for sure!

You are so right - much too often I fall behind the line, and the intended pp turns into nothing, because the hammer pegs out on the way to the string... :roll:

9. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    What do you mean, could be ? :p :lol:

10. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    :lol:

11. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I have missed this one. Sorry!

This is slow and even very slow and I am not convinced about the choosen tempo. And as Chris says, in this tempo, every note must be there and I do not feel it is really perfect so I hope I do not break your heart by saying that a re-recording is necessary before this one goes up? :)

12. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    No heartbreak here, Robert! I agree with the general concensus that it is too slow.

For the record, I always want everyone's most honest and forthright opinion possible!!! I'm not posting recordings here to get automatic laudations, but rather to improve my playing and share those improvements and/or insights with everyone in the pianistic community.

Critiques are most welcome!

Pete