Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schumann, Kinderszenen (complete recording)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Daniel Hoehr, Aug 17, 2008.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I forgot to mention that these sound so much better than the first batch. No more hiss as far as I could hear !

What type of recorder did you buy ?

2. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

The 'handy recorder' from 'Zoom', methinks (I'm not at home right now). A stereo and surround sound recorder with integrated stereo mike, cost me about 200 euros, but it was definitely worth it. You can record different WAV and MP3 types. The sound is crystal clear now :)

3. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Daniel,
    your new recordings are much better, but some few times I could hear some strange noises. Are they from your recorder or from outside?
    Congratulations on this complete set.

4. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

Thank you, I'm playing the Kinderszenen in a recital tomorrow - keep your fingers crossed!

The noise was caused by the SD card I was using whilst recording nos 1 - 7. I replaced the faulty card, did no 7 again and - lo and behold! - no more annoying noise!

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Good luck tomorrow, Daniel. Will the recital be video recorded so maybe we can see you play?

6. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I wish you good luck and much success with your recital, too. Keep the fingers warm. :wink:

7. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

Thanks, you two!

It went well this afternoon, the Kinderszenen and Liszt's Hugarian Rhapsody No 2 were best. I'm not quite so happy with the way Beethoven's Pathtétique went, particularly the second movement wasn't entirely what Beethoven had in mind. The third movement, however, was best.

It wasn't video-recorded, I think it was bad enough that there was actually an audience :wink: I do suffer from terrible stage fright and it was particularly bad this time. It actually started three days before and I felt quite ill this morning.

And I shall give playing from memory a serious re-think. I'm mean, I'm an amateur, I'm doing this in my free time and I'm not 18 any more, I think it's perfectly acceptable to put the music on the piano, isn't it? (Maybe "Technique" would be the better place to start a discussion about that, unless there is one already and I'd be surprised if it weren't).

Anyway, time for a drink or two... :D

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Daniel – Welcome to the club!!! If it makes you feel any better, I have this same problem. And no matter what I’ve tried, it really hasn’t gotten any better. Isn’t it maddening? We play the music perfectly at home, but nobody in the audience would know that after they watch us botch up a performance.

I’ve talked a lot about this in another thread (and even posted a video of my botched-up recital performance last spring) but after all is said and done – I think the only way to conquer stage fright is to just keep playing for an audience. I think you can get used to practically anything after enough time, but in my case (and maybe yours?) I don’t play often enough in front of an audience to get used to performing. I still get nervous when I record too.

Funny! (sorry). I think things like that all the time – mostly when I’m playing Chopin. I would not have been his most favorite student!

I'd join you if I could.

9. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

That's what I thought after my performance on Sunday. It is maddening. I mean, it wasn't that bad on Sunday, it was a few minor mistakes here and there (except for my spontaneous variations on the second movement of Beethoven's Pathétique :oops: ) but these were stupid mistakes that never happened at home. What used to go wrong at home, was perfect during the performance. It's so unfair...

Oh, I haven't seen that thread. Where's the link to the video? I'd really love to see you play.

I hadn't played the piano for an audience for about ten years when I decided to take it up again (which was one of the best decisions I've ever made). Playing keys and bass in rock and metal bands wasn't really the same thing. I made a few phone calls in order to see whether people would still be interested in me playing a recital and I soon ended up with a major recital in my home town (5 October). I arranged other evenings before that so I could gain some live experience. In the spring I even went to some old people's homes and played my programme for them just to get used to the situation again.

I also get nervous when I record. Microphones are evil and relentless. I mean, an audience barely notices minor mistakes, but they do stay on the tape or SD card or whatever and they are always there and the more you listen to your recording, the worse they tend to get, don't they?

The worst thing must be a recording (or video) of a recital. I find that very scary, although I'm planning to record my recital on 10 October. I'll be playing on a Bösendorfer then and by then I'll have two more opportunities to play the whole programme for an audience. But all this is easier said than done <big sigh>....

We must do the drink thing at some point :D

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I took that video down a day or so later. It's not so bad if PS members see or hear my silly stuff, but I don't want just anybody to be able to see, so that's why I did that. If you really want to see me, I have one video on the site - Chopin's nocturne Op. 15, No. 2. It's over in the 'Chopin - Nocturnes" page. Don't laugh too hard if you watch it - I made mistakes and of course was more nervous than if it was only an audio recording.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things as far as preparing and practicing performing in front of others before the main event. I'm sure you'll do well, but yes - video record it and maybe show us one of your pieces here (or just me if you'd rather).

Well, now I'm going to be really nervous when I record. :lol: Never thought about it that way.
    And you are so very right about our recordings sounding worse after some time. I am most of the time pretty bummed out about it. Seems at the time we recorded the piece, it was not too bad. But jeez, all these terrible things come out when we listen to them later.

You never know when I might hop over to Germany. I have aunts and cousins there who are often begging me to come visit, so who knows.... (careful what you wish for! :lol: )

11. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

This is beautiful. Monica! Not only your playing but also the setting with the candles and everything. It really brings the atmosphere across and I can tell that playing Chopin is your thing. I like it (and have saved it on my conmputer).

Well then, hop on a plane, come over and I'll take you to the house where Beethoven was born in Bonn (about 15 kilometres from here) and the house where Schumann died (also in Bonn). In the Beethoven museum you can see his Broadwood, which later on belonged to The Man and in the Schumann Museum you can see the piano He played Beethoven's 5th piano concerto on when the Beethoven monumet was unveiled (the one He paid for and never received a proper thank you for). Schumann's grave in Bonn is also a must.

And there are some nice pubs as well :)

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok! :lol:

I think I remember seeing a picture of that piano in one of the Walker - Liszt biographies. Speaking of, having you started reading it, yet?

Sounds great! And don't forget to have some sauerbraten, rotkohl and spaetzle ready. (my favorite German meal) :D