Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schumann, Kinderszenen (complete recording)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Daniel Hoehr, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

2. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Daniel,

I listened to Die Träumerei, my favorite piece in this set. I enjoyed much your interpretation despite it deserves a better sound. You could improve it by means of noise gating rather than frequency filtering , which removes also the musical signal. Here attached what I got from your file. One might got a wider spectrum, here limited to 5 or 6 kHz, by processing directly the original recording without filtering.

Anyway, thank you very much for these recordings,

Didier

PS I could also process the other pieces if you wish.

3. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

Many thanks for your reply and for processing the file. I would really appreciate if you could do something with the other files as well. I hope that doesn't cause too much trouble. I really must get a better recorder.

Thanks again!

4. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    well done in my opinion.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have not had time to listen to these yet, but I assume they are very good musically and technically. So, there will be another CS on PS (PS - I love TLA's :wink: )

Didier, should you proceed to do all the files, can you do me a favour: put them in a zipfile, upload to savefile, and mail me the link ? That is much less work for both of us than all this attachment uploading and downloading.

I much appreciate it that members help out each other in doing stuff like noise reduction, and I trust your judgement in whether it is an improvement or not.

6. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Chris, that is OK for the zip but I will send the link to Daniel because anyway the artist has to authorize the final edition of his recordings. I have got a great pleasure to listen and edit all the pieces of this set. For some ones, the filtering applied by Daniel may be too much severe, resulting in a thin sound, for instance on no. 10. Daniel, if you have still the original recordings, before filtering, I might possibly improve the sound quality. Anyway, fell free to prefer your non-edited version: for some pieces, the difference is barely audible, for some other ones my taste may differ from your one. Whatever you will choose, I think that this will be a great addition to the Pianosociety recordings.

7. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

This is very kind of you, Didier. I can send you the original WAV files without any filters if that helps. I'm not at home now, but I can zip them and send them at the weekend.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Great ! I think you two can work that out to best advantage. When it's finalized, send me the link to the zip and I will put it on the site, as well as create the links in the forum.

9. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Daniel, I wait for your link. I cannot commit to achieve a better result than what I did on yesterday (I PM you the savefile link) but it is worth trying.

10. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Nice job, Daniel. I have not played all of these myself, so it was nice to hear them. And I learned that I've been playing the first one wrong my whole life!

11. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

Why? I don't think I play this right either. It starts with the tempo. Schumann wants quarter notes at 108!

I bought a live recording by Horowitz at the weekend, his last recital recorded in Hamburg, Germany in 1987 and recently released by Deutsche Grammophon. Having listened to his interpretation, I was reluctant to post my recordings. Beautiful! I shall write something in the Pianists forum at the weekend.

12. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    It's not the tempo - your version is about the same as how I play this. What I have always done wrong is the phrasing and melody line. For some strange reason, I bring out the last note of the triplets in bar 1 and also the last note (A) in bar 2 - connecting them to the next RH quarter notes. So the melody line in the way I play goes: b - treble g - high g - treble g - f# - e - d - a - b - treble g - high g etc...

I guess I come down too hard on those notes with my thumb and it became a bad habit. But I know now! :D

13. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Daniel,

I listened to Important Event, which I played a very long time ago. You played it very well indeed. Nice job!

There are actually two different perspectives that a pianist can take by way of interpretation of this piece. One is to portray the pomp and circumstance per se, perhaps involving a royal ceremony, as one sense of occasion. The other interpretation and sense of occasion, where this is from Kinderszcenen, is to instead portray more of the inner excitement of the child in viewing this important event. Where your playing is very disciplined and precise, I'm guessing you chose the former interpretation. I don't believe one approach is necessarily better than the other. It's probably just one of those things "in the eye (or ear) of the beholder".

14. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Daniel,
    I played these pieces all, too and I would like to give you some critics (and praise), which I hope, you feel to be constructive and as a help. :wink:
    To nr. 1: nicely played. I couldn´t realize a rit. in bar 12 and 13. The pause (hold) in bar 14 can be played on the b1 in my Henle-Urtext-edition, but that´s a decision of interpretation. I wouldn´t do a rit. in bar 22 the first time, but make more rit on the two final notes at the end of the repeat.
    To. nr. 2: nice. I play it a little bit slower and with a little bit more rubato here and there.
    To nr. 3: it´s accurately played, could be a bit faster (and with a bit more risk :wink: ).
    To nr. 4: I miss the dynamic differenciation between p and pp (but this can be the bad sound-quality), in every case the ritardandi and rubati should be more IMO.
    To nr. 5: in summary it seems a bit too loud for me and there could be more rit. at the end. But otherwise it´s nicely and accurately played.
    To nr. 6: in bar 16 you don´t hold the quarter-break the first time. Could be a bit faster and the chords be played with more "importance". I personally take a bit pedal on the chords. Otherwise they sound a bit dry for my taste.
    To nr. 7: this file was empty, couldn´t hear anything.
    To nr. 8: this one didn´t work, too.
    To nr. 9: nicely played, with nice accents, but the main-theme in the alt or tenor-voice (bar 1-8 and bar 17-end) should be played clearer and louder IMO.
    To nr. 10: This is very expressively played, could be faster and with more dynamic developments, but on the other hand this tempo gives a possibility for a good expression. (It´s the first time I hear it in such a slow tempo.)
    To nr. 11: nice. The fast part could be a bit more fluent for my taste.
    To nr. 12: I personally would not make the rit. from bar 4 to 5. In bar 9, 10 the last eigth in the bar is a bit too fast, so that there is a rhythmical uneveness. The same is in bar 13 (and a bit still in bar 14).
    To nr. 13: this is too mechanically played IMO (and too fast). So, there is missing the simple reflective and philosophical character, which has this piece. It´s full of a deep simple truth, which can only be told by a soul, who has become as simple and true like a child. This is the reason, why this piece is one of the most difficult piece of piano literature.

In summary a great job. I don´t know, if I play these pieces much better, but they mean much too me. I enjoyed it to listen to your recordings and to develop thoughts about them. Thank you very much for sharing these nice recordings with us. Didier is right, they are worth to be improved concerning the sound-quality. It´s very nice of you, Didier, that you´ll do this for us, because you are the real profi of us on these matters. :D

15. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

I've got a new recorder and whilst testing it I re-recorded the complete Kinderszenen. I would like to have these recordings on the site because they have a better sound, and I think I played some of the pieces better than on the ones I submitted last week. This will save Didier some work as well.

Absolutely, I take the pomp and circumstance perspective, yet not the royal ceremony. The middle part of "Wichtige Begebenheit" is a variation on the German Christmas carol "Morgen, Kinder, wird's was geben" and I definitely have that in mind when I play it.

Oups... I'm afraid that break is AWOL in the new version as well.... :oops:

I agree - the whole sense of romanticism condensed to just a few bars. I hope I managed to get it across a bit better in the new recording, although I don't think it should be played much slower. What is important to me is the tension between the chorale on the one hand and the free recitative (quoting "Aufschwung" from Fantasiestücke Opus 12) on the other hand.

Thank you very much for your constructive criticism. One week before I play this in a recital - time enough to go over it again with your suggestions in mind.

Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 1: Von fremden Ländern und Menschen ( 1:35 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 2: Kuriose Geschichte ( 1:07 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 3: Hasche-Mann ( 0:36 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 4: Bittendes Kind ( 0:53 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 5: Glückes genug ( 1:15 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 6: Wichtige Begenbenheit ( 0:52 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 7: Träumerei ( 2:34 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 8: Am Kamin ( 1:07 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 9: Ritter vom Steckenpferd ( 0:38 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 10: Fast zu ernst ( 1:56 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 11: Fürchtenmachen ( 2:03 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 12: Kind im Einschlummern ( 2:26 )
    Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 13: Der Dichter Spricht ( 1:39 )

16. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    I did not try comparing with you previous version but I enjoyed still much my listening, at least because the sound quality is now very good. I much liked especially "Kind im Einschlummern".

My only complain is that you removed any silence at the beginning and the end of each piece. I downloaded first the 13 files, put the right track numbers in the tags, and listen to them in a row, which one does normally with this set, by means of Itunes. But the transitions then are unfortunately not realistic at all.

Many thanks for pointing out my interest on this set. :D

There are a few strange noises here and there, for instance at 44" and 1'23" in Die Traümerei, without any importance but that make me wonder whether they were coming from your recording or from my stomach when I was listening on my loudspeakers and before I checked on the earphones and was reensured that my stomach was OK.
    :p

17. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

My favourite, actually.

I did cut off quite a bit of the silence because I put all tracks on a CD and I didn't want long pieces of silence between the pieces since Nero makes a pause of 2 seconds between the tracks. I'm sorry if that causes inconvenience.

Your stomach is OK and I can guarantee it's not my cat being flatulent in the background :D

These noises were generated by the SD card whilst storing the tracks. I replaced the SD card after I had recorded "Träumerei" and - lo and behold! - no more strange noises! The SD card was faulty, that was all.

18. Jessica

Jessica New Member

student
    Thanks for sharing your interpretation of this piece. I enjoyed your artistry.

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are up the site, Daniel. Please check for errors.
    I did not listen to all of them, but from what I heard, this is a quality job. Great to have these as a complete set !

20. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

As far as I can see it, everything's fine.

Thanks for putting them up!

Daniel