Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schumann Carnaval and some short pieces...

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by joeisapiano, Feb 1, 2008.

1. joeisapiano

joeisapiano New Member Piano Society Artist

Piano Student
    Last Name:
    Kingma
    First Name:
    Joseph
  2. joeisapiano

Piano Student
    Last Name:
    Kingma
    First Name:
    Joseph
    And the rest of Carnaval...

3. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    sublime Debussy! rockin' Rachmaninoff ... and that Chopin was fierce! (in spite of a few gaffs that I only mention to make myself feel superior)

I can't wait to listen to the Schumann, but I've got to order pizza now, er, I mean, cook slavishly for the kids. :lol:

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    All of the Schumann files are up. I only had time to listen to about the first three seconds as I was doing them. From what I heard, they sure sounded good to me.
    You should also check the links.

I'll do the other files later.

5. joeisapiano

Piano Student
    Last Name:
    Kingma
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Thanks, wow, things go FAST around here!! :)

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Only since Monica's doing all or most of the uploading :D

So far I listened to the outer movements of Carnaval. Very accomplished playing though your youthful elan gets the better of you at times, and you then take more risk than necessary. It could just be the recording, but your LH often drowns out the RH. Great Schumann playing all the same, with only very few tiny slips. You are going from strength to strength.

Great job of the Paganini ! I can never quite get the hang of hat, but you blaze through it as if it is a mere joke. The silent chord at the end is not really audible - I wonder if that idea works in a concert hall.

7. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Bravo! I listened to much of the Schumann (it is a pity to have to click each piece individually - there should be some way to download the whole suite in cases like this).

In some of the faster ones you get a bit carried away. For example the Papillons sounds like something much more heavy and threatening than butterflies. Some of the articulation is lost but this does not detract very much from the performance since you really capture the Schumann idiom and sound excellently, and I never associated that with high precision anyway. But if you rush things just a little bit less you might achieve a lighter touch in some places.

In all highly enjoyable! Thanks for posting!

8. joeisapiano

Piano Student
    Last Name:
    Kingma
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Thanks. I see what you mean about the muddiness/heaviness. Part of it might be the hall and i'm sure part of it was my own fault. It's easy to hammer out the LH in papillons!

9. joeisapiano

Piano Student
    Last Name:
    Kingma
    First Name:
    Joseph
    I should mention that these were all recorded using my brand-spanking-new Edirol R-09 I got for Christmas...I love that thing!!!!!!

10. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I have painted the ceiling of my sons room today and had your recordings looping while doing so. That made work a lot easier.

You do a fabulous work and you certainly don't hold back. That is some of the fastest version I have ever heard of the Chopin etude and so is the Debussy Reflect Dance. The Chopin etude is done in 2:10 and from first to last key at about 2:06. Pollini has a timing of 2:30 for example, Cziffra at about 2:20 (of course he could do faster). Still I do not feel you miss the essence in the music. Some wrong notes and some inaudible but who cares? You completes the mission and tells the revolutionary story! A touching story is also told with Debussy recordings but I have too little experience with Schumann. The Rach prelude is one of my favorites and is known as "the return" of Rach's exil and I like it too.

Overall, extremely impressing!

11. joeisapiano

Piano Student
    Last Name:
    Kingma
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Thanks for your generous comments, Robert! :)

12. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Awwww... no Sphinxes?

I wish I could comment more on the Carnival recording... but unfortunatly I'm not terribly familiar with this work... all I know is that I liked you recording of it... but I missed the Sphinxes...
    Yeah... I know they're not technically supposed to be played :shock: ... but they're just SO COOL!

The Rachmaninoff prelude was a little fast for my tastes... I perfer it to be a bit calmer, and more introspective, because it helps to bring out the tragedy of the work. Also, I think it could have been played a bit more lightly... but those are my only complaints. I think it was overall a marvelous recording, and you did a great job with it.

... Holy crap with the revolutionary etude ...

I would kill to have a left hand that can do that... :evil:

wow... amazing!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What's wrong with Schumann?

I usually go and listen to 'Estrella' & 'Chopin' movements of his Carnival to judge a performer. The 'Chopin" piece here, I felt was a bit too rushed in places and lacked that very romantic & gentle touch.

However, I have a bigger question: Many of my pianist friends when comparing Chopin [the composer] to Schumann seem to always go for Chopin, why? Generally, they tell me bec. Schumann never developed those "themes" (like in Carnival) into full-fledge pieces, whereas Chopin did. I personally love Chopin (as most do), however strictly based on "quality" and "depth", I'll go with Schumann every time. Comments?

14. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Chopin pwns Schumann, every day of the week...

15. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Word!

I have a love/hate relationship with your Revolutionary etude, Joe. It is extremely fast, violent, with an overwhelming roil to it; for that, I love it. If you could just hit more notes at that insane tempo...or you could take it down just one notch. :lol:

Reflets dans l'eau is really sublime. But I don't know the piece, so I can't tell what notes you missed! :lol: Just kidding! It was profoundly beautiful.

Can't wait to go to the Carnival!

Thanks for sharing.
    Pete

16. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: What's wrong with Schumann?

Schumman does have some lovely "full-fledged" pieces... most notably in my mind, the 2nd piano sonata. But I'll probably always perfer Chopin myself. His music is so expressive, full of depth, and beautiful in every way.

HOWEVER... he still in no way matches up to Scriabin or Rachmaninoff in my book... :p