Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert - Winterreise - Der Leiermann

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Didier, Nov 23, 2009.

1. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Beautiful singing indeed. Actually this voice is quite different from the Quasthoff's :wink: Anyway the diction is really good. Much better than the famous singers like Ian Bostrige (not to mention Domingo singing Wagner's operas :lol: )!
    Didier, I thoroughly enjoyed your performances. It was like I was listening to a commercial CD! Keep up the good job :D

2. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you Hye-Jin for this nice compliment, which I will transmit to the singer.

3. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    That´s a very nice performance, Didier. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. That would be very nice, if you could perform this song one day with this singer (and may be also some of the others of "Die Winterreise"?) The pronounciation of the singer is quite perfect, but here and there one can hear a bit the French accent (sometimes the "i" is too bright in words like "mit" and the pronounciation of the "r" at the end of words like "Leier" is a bit too pharyngeally, which is typic for French pronounciation. But on the other hand this "French" sound has also something very beautiful. I love French as you know!

Bravo, Didier, for this very nice recording!

4. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Hi Andreas,

thank you for your listening. The merit for this performance is mostly from my excellent partner. Do you like really the French accent ? Then I offer to you the new recording here attached, the same piano take mixed with my voice. Here you should hear much more French accent! I hope my poor singing capability will not prevent you to enjoy it. :D

Merry Christmas,

Didier

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh dear :lol: You are terribly flat most of the time.
    But it takes guts do do this, I admire that. Your accent is not even too bad.
    Actually, you should record this in one session. Could be hard to sing and play at the same time though.

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow, Didier - you won't let us 'see' you, but you'll let us 'hear' you! And well, okay, your singing is off pitch most of the time - I'm still a little in shock, but actually you sound sort of cute at the same time. You should sing this for your wife/girlfriend/partner.

Anyway, very brave of you, that is for sure!! (now can we at least see your face one of these days? please??)

7. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Very brave indeed (I'd never dare), but in a true Schubertian spirit I believe. That's a song that one can well sing to himself, almost like a confession. Thank you for this, Der Winterreise is a song cycle that is very dear to me

8. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Wow, that´s absolutely splendid, Didier! I love the French accent! And it´s MUCH more of it than in the other version. (Of course, it has also something funny, btw, if I´m allowed to say this. :wink: ) Indeed, sometimes your intonation is too deep here and there, you could improve this, if you like.
    Thank you very much for sharing this with us. And how nice to have heard your voice!
    I wish you a happy New Year, if we don´t "see" us before here!

With best and warm wishes (from a quite cold Germany :lol: )
    Andreas