Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert, Winterreise, D911, no. 20, 21, 23

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by musicusblau, Dec 23, 2015.

1. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Today I have a nice Christmas present for you:
    My colleague Michael Schönfelder and me, we offer three more recordings of Schuberts "Winterreise" on the way of the completion of the whole cycle. During the Christmas holidays we have planed to do the rest of the half of it (12 of 24 Lieder). So keep your fingers crossed for us! :wink:

With my new administrator access I have tried to upload my recordings, but without success :? , so I definitely need your help, Richard! (Please, check your email.)

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Here are the links to the videos on my YouTube-channel (if you enjoy my nice Christmas tree, I will be completely satisfied! :lol: :wink: ):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqU2mNbB45E (Franz Schubert, Winterreise, D911, Nr. 20, Der Wegweiser)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB6K2g1hZHA (Franz Schubert, Winterreise, D911, Nr. 21, Das Wirtshaus)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Hucp0TAWE (Franz Schubert, Winterreise, D911, Nr. 23, Die Nebensonnen)

Here are the links to the mp3-files (I have dainty payed attention to the right tags,I promise! :) ):

Attached Files:

2. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Hello Andreas. Very well played, and sung. This suite is perfect for the Christmas season. If I remember several years ago, you were going to use the Neumann KM180 series mics. If so, you could bring the mics closer to the singer and the curve of the piano to improve clarity and dynamics. I like the Christmas mood you have going in that room. I've been away for quite some time, but it's good to be back to say hello to my musical friends here on PS. I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

George

3. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi George,
    thank you for your kind comment! I´m glad you like it for the Christmas season, because this was my intention, actually.
    Yes, I still record with a nice pair of Neumann KM 184 microphones, which I bought in 2009, I believe. They give back the sound in a very natural way and that´s why I´m still very satisfied with them.
    Damned, this was exactly, what I suggested to my singing partner, to put the mic closer to him, but he didn´t like it and claimed me to put it farer away. On the other hand I can manipulate the sound by mixing and editing the tracks and I have already done that in these recordings. I have recently received some good tips by Didier here in the forum and I have tried to realize them. It´s recorded with Reaper and different settings on the tracks. I also have mixed the singing and the piano track to get a nice stereo image.
    So welcome back, seems that PS will have some changes in the next time. Have a Merry Christmas with your familiy, too!

4. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Hi Andreas,

Well done although the voice sounds too far because of the reverberation. If it is artificial reverberation, you should remove it. If it is the reverberation from your room, you should put the microphones closer. At home the microphones shall be much closer than in a concert hall because the 'critical distance', the distance beyond which the indirect sound level is stronger than the direct one, is much smaller Then make the singer listen to the voice track with added digital reverberation so that he will like it.

Your Tannenbaum is wonderful !

Didier

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Didier,
    thanks for your praise and your advices! :D
    Yes, it is artificial reverberation and I don´t know, if I still can take it away. I would have to look, if there still is the "raw file", that means the unedited one. But I will realize your advices, when we will record the next songs, that´s sure!
    So I will put the microphones closer.

Thank you also very much for the praise of my Tannenbaum! :D I will let him stand in my living-room until 6th of january usually.

I wish you a happy and healthy New Year!

By the way, what´s doing your next Schubert-recording? I would like to give you some advices, too. :wink:

Best regards!
    Andreas

6. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    My best wishes for 2016 to you too Andreas !

The microphones have been on the stand in the piano bow for a few months. But the right take did not yet come on. :?
    Hopefully it should come soon. :D

7. echoyjeff222

echoyjeff222 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Took a listen to the first song -- I've never heard of this song before, but it gave me chills listening to it! Nice balance between the piano and voice.

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you very much for listening and your praise!
    Did you generally not know the Winterreise or just this song? I'm always glad to give my contribution to make the pieces more known to others.
    I have looked for the meaning of "chill" and I suppose you mean it in the sense of the german word "Schauer"? That means a nice feeling by being touched. At least that would make more sense than you just feeled "relaxed", right?
    Though I also would be delighted, if people would jump in here to "chill out" for a while. :wink:

9. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello Andreas,
    I am back home and I can catch up with PS. I am fond of the Winterreise - with my wife, we gave it entirely in a private concert some years ago, after having practiced it for more than 6 months. And I wanted to tell you how I liked your interpretation with Michael. He has a very nice light voice, perfectly in tune and very musical. The only point to criticize is the equilibrium between voice and piano, but this point was addressed by others. Looking forward to listening the rest of the lieder group !

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Francois,
    thank you very much for commenting and your praise, which - again - means a lot to me! :D
    Especially since you are very familiar with this cycle. Btw, do you have a recording of this concert you gave with your wife?
    Tomorrow we plan to record two or three more numbers. I will definitely change the position of the microphones.

11. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    No, unfortunately this concert was not recorded. But we have Die Schöne Müllerin, another great souvenir with my wife !

12. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Could you upload this for me, please? Would be great!