Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert Waltzes

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by 88man, Mar 6, 2009.

1. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello George,

I enjoyed listening to these this morning. They all sound very nice. I've played most of them myself, but for the life of me I can't figure out what set they come from. And surprisingly, these are not already on the site.

I know one of them I used to call "German Song" or something like that. You played it very sweet and gentle-like, whereas I used to play it more like a German beer-drinking song. I like your way better. Anyway, when you put up recordings, please give out more details such as opus numbers, name of set, etc...

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I like the sound of your piano and the accustics work quite well too.

The last waltz (A-minor V.Nobles) I am sure I heard before. Did Liszt arrange it into something more difficult? I swear I heard it before on a Liszt CD.

Thanks for sharing.

4. 88man

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Thank you Monica and juufa72.

Some of these waltzes should be played like "German beer drinking songs" as they were intended. I was afraid someone would ask... I am usually thorough when it comes to musical listings, however, my Schubert Waltzes album is probably still inside the piano bench at my parents house. It's been 3 years since I last saw it and I usually play these as a set from memory. I'll post the info after I find it.

What I do remember is, Yes, Liszt did arrange the A minor waltz from the Valse Nobles and it's called: Soirees de Vienne: Valse-Caprice, No. 6. In my opinion, Horowitz's 1987 recording is pure magic on this particular Liszt/Schubert transcription.

Well, the acoustics have been a challenge to get right. My room is 35x14x8.5ft. I finally made my own removable acoustic panels and now the room has been well tamed for recording.

George

5. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    I liked all of them. You have done an excellent job.
    I mostly appreciated your calm and mild style, clear phrasing without getting over emotional or melancholic. A pleasure to listen to.

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, well...about the German beer-drinking...I am half-German, so sorry. :lol:

And while I wait for you to give me all correct titles and opus numbers, etc., I will mention that I believe we have yet to get you to become an official member at PS, right? (or am I loosing my marbles, and you already are one?) (sorry - it's a merlot kind of night for me right now - which means I'm currently drinking some :lol: ). So...in addition to what I just said, you can also prepare your bio and photo. :)

7. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you for offering some Schubert. There is not so much here. I enjoyed listening these waltzes. Your interpretation is excellent.
    Didier

8. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Monica, I'll do for 88man since I liked his Schubert very much.

They are, respectively:

1. 36 Original Dances D.365, No.2
    2. 18 German Dances & Ecossaises D.783, No.10
    3. 18 German Dances & Ecossaises D.783, No.5
    4. 18 German Dances & Ecossaises D.783, No.2
    5. 18 German Dances & Ecossaises D.783, No.7
    6. 12 Valses Nobles D.969, No.1
    7. 12 Valses Nobles D.969, No.9

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, that's great, Alfonso. Thank you.

Ok, George - just need a bio and photo now!

10. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi 88man,

I got to listen to the first, the Trauer Waltz, but the other links seem to have been broken. Hopefully one of the moderators will read this and reestablish the links. The Trauer was a very pleasant little waltz indeed, and very well played.

David

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, no! I didn't do it. I don't think I could even do it, anyway. But you're right, David, those files don't play. All I have done is download them onto my computer and added some tags. I never removed them from the Audition Room. Weird...

George - I have these on my computer, so I can make links for your recordings when I get your bio.

12. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Umm... sorry...... I lost these when cleaning out the atachments directory. Scary how one accidentally typed space can lead to near disaster. For those who understand a little about shell commands, I typed

rm weber *

instead of

rm weber*

and when it said there was no file named 'weber' I realized my mistake. Luckily, a protected file stopped me from deleting all files (there were not so many left to delete anyway).

There's no need to re-submit them as Monica had already downloaded them. The atachments will be replaced by links once the files have been uploaded. Please state your last name as we need that for naming the files.

I had listened to one of the pieces and thought it was played very well. However I found that sometimes you got too enthousiastic and then started to make mistakes. These could have been read or memory errors, seeing as you have not seen the score for a long time.

13. 88man

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Thank you Didier, David, Techneut for your comments and suggestions. Yes, the Valse Nobles set had a few notes that I hit the cracks. Good thing I didn't fall through. :) Alfonso, thank you also for cataloging the pieces.

Most of us have all played these Waltzes and it's amazing how effectively Schubert condenses all that there is to say with just two-line musical verses. If he were to add more, it would have just added more clutter and would have deterred its intended focus.

Monica, I registered when I signed up and just added some info in my profile. Questions:
    1. What does becoming an official member entail?...
    2. What is the format for the bio - CV, paragraph description, etc.?
    3. How will the bio and picture be used?...

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    To become an ‘official’ member of Piano Society means that you are one of our artists with piano recordings on the site that can be accessed by everyone. Our purpose at PS is to host quality recordings of classical piano music by our members and make the music available to the world for free. We are like classical music ambassadors, and if you look at the site statistics you can see that we have hundreds of thousands of visitors.

Of course, you don’t have to become a member; we have some ‘regulars’ who are not pianists on the main site but still regularly contribute to conversations on the forum. But attachments on the forum are not saved permanently and so your music will not be available to people for a long time. It is on the main site, though. Being an artist at PS also makes it possible for you to have your own page where you can have a biography, photo, and a list of your recordings that your friends and family can see and listen to.

Your biography can be however long or short as you like. (don’t write a book, though ;)) We like the wording to fit on the computer screen without having to scroll down very much. You can get an idea if you go to the main home page, click on ‘artists’ and then look at Stahlbrand (Robert), Breemer (Chris), or Hart (me) – we’re your friendly PS administrators. :)

So, if you wish to become an artist and member of Piano Society, you just need to submit two or three high-quality piano recordings, and if acceptable (which these Schubert pieces are) then we ask you for a bio and photo (you may email it to anyone of us admins – or post it here) and we will add you as a member of Piano Society. You will probably find that once you do become a member, you will be practicing piano a lot more!

15. 88man

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Re: Artist on PS

Thank you Monica and the Piano Society for this unique opportunity to be considered as an Artist into your community. When I first registered in October 2008, I had bookmarked only the Forum section on my computer and not the main PS site, so I had almost completely forgotten about the artist/composer pages - Zoinks! Well, I just happened to scroll through some familiar names... :)

You're absolutely right!... I already feel the urge to practice already. BTW- If I decide to re-record previous selections, how or who does the substitution?

Weekdays are tough, but I'll try to submit a bio and photo via PM soon.

Many Thanks,

George

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Re: Artist on PS

Chris, Robert, or I do the substitution. You just send us the file. But make sure you do tell us that it is a 'replacement' recording and not a 'new' recording or you will hear me saying "zoinks"! :lol:

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, George - you are an official member of Piano Society. Welcome, again. :)

Please check your bio page and all the links, and let me know if I've made any mistakes. Also, please remember in the future to use a compression number below 220 kbps, and supply us with all the information about pieces you submit such as the full title, opus number, name of set, what key, tempo marking, etc...That saves us time from having to look everything up.

18. 88man

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    I would like to publicly acknowledge my gratitude to the administrators of Piano Society for accepting me as an official member. I look forward to active discussions pertaining to music, sharing advice, and recordings. Monica, I will formally address future titles and provide pertinent information regarding recordings. I am glad to be a part of this musical community!

Thanks Again,
    George

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi again, George.

I just now noticed your signature. I live near Chicago and Muti is now the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's musical director. I think he begins next season.

20. 88man

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Hi Monica, Chicago has endured what Berlin had to go through in the 1990s - finding a legitimate successor to Sir George Solti. If you happen to see Verdi on the program in Chicago with Muti next season, don't miss it! Congrats on finding a superb conductor!

Ciao