Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert piano sonata - D. 784 (Allegro giusto)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by dubya, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dubya

dubya Member Piano Society Artist

Pianist
    Last Name:
    Welch
    First Name:
    Luke
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDubya69
    Hello all,

After some reconsidering, I've decided to post this first movement along with the other two movements for people's impressions. It's a live recording taken from the same performance as the other two movements. Especially considering my ongoing apprehension, I would love to have some comments, feedback, general impressions, etc. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Schubert - D.784, Piano Sonata in A minor, I. Allegro guisto

2. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Now please explain what was so terrible about this recording? There are some minor slips and you set out in a tempo that perhaps is a bit too slow but you make use of the dynamics in a tasteful way and overall had a tasteful musical idea. Again, the sound clip a bit during the forte passages but that is out of your control. I think you did a very good job and I put up this starting movement along with the two other.

3. dubya

dubya Member Piano Society Artist

Pianist
    Last Name:
    Welch
    First Name:
    Luke
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDubya69
    Hi there,

I'm very glad to hear that you didn't think nearly as poorly of the performance as I have. It's not a horrible performance, but definitely one that I know I should be playing far superior. I have to agree with the tempo - but to be honest, of all the pieces I've played over the years (which is quite a few), it's always been the hardest to decide on a tempo that seems adequate (especially considering some of the figurations and Schubert's intended effects). I've listened to a few recordings and you'd be surprised of how big a discrepancy is with the tempo of the 1st movement.. if I do re-learn this work (which will hopefully happen soon!), I will definitely be giving most of my consideration to upping the tempo. thanks for your insight!!