Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

Schubert Impromptu no 2 in Eb op 90 Help!

Discussion in 'Technique' started by Bubbles, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

How important is the Una Corda Pedal in the works of Schubert’s Impromptus ? Una corda ?

I am playing the Schubert Impromptu no 2 in Eb op 90, and my teacher has asked me to use the U.C pedal in section B ( bars 25-26) and then Tre Corda in bars ( 27-28 ) and so on to show the difference between these 2 dynamic shades.

If you can manage a good pp with your fingers ,is the Una corda Pedal necessary? Since there are not U.C pedal markings, I guess this is up to interpretation. But what are your thoughts about this and your experience on interpretation?

I am having trouble with the Damper Pedal and Una Corda pedal Coordination, so I thought its best that I leave out the U.C and try to focus on achieving the pp with my fingers.

Any advice ?

2. ch_a

ch_a New Member

Not an advice, but a general remark to the function of the left pedal of a grand piano: The una corda pedal leads to a tone with lower intensity (only two strings are struck) but longer fade away (the third string takes the energie later and phase-delayed) so that one obtains also another sound. If a composer indicates una corda he wants to have that different sound. Una corda is not at all a substitution for good pp played with fingers.

Christiane

3. sarah

sarah New Member

I agree with Christiane; your teacher wants you to hold down the una corda primarily to produce a different tone color. I love to do that with the repeating phrases in Brahms' A Major Intermezzo, for instance. Don't be afraid or ashamed to use the una corda... you can capture some beautiful effects with it!