Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert Impromptu in Ges

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pepasch, May 10, 2015.

1. pepasch

pepasch cooperation is a profession Piano Society Artist

consultant
    Last Name:
    Schuttevaar
    First Name:
    Peter
    Dear all,

Is has been a long time since i uploaded a recording here.

Some time ago, people started to ask me if i could bring my own piano if they did not have one. So i bought a digital piano. A Roland F-20. Just for the portability.

Now i took some time to record the impromptu in Ges by Schubert. I recorded it directly into my Zoom H4.

I'm interested to know what you folks think of it.

Greetings from the Netherlands.
    Peter Schuttevaar

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It sure has been a long time. Not many people here will remember your videos.

So you're a traveling pianist now. Must be nice to have people being interested in your playing.
    The Roland does not sound too bad although the sound is somewhat synthetic and constricted compared to that of a real instrument.

The performance I am not too keen on. It is IMO much too fast and rather indifferently dispatched, with many inaccuracies. I do
    not hear much of Schubert's singing lines, there is little in the way of phrasing, dynamics, and rubato/agogics. The melody does
    not sufficiently soar above all notes. That way the piece becomes a note spinning machine rather than a song.

Sorry to be so critical here. My guess is you have played this one for a long time and have just sat down and recorded it from
    memory without much preparation. Zo van dat doe ik wel even ;-) This was kind of my method when I first joined PS.
    They say familiarity breeds contempt - I hope that is not what has happened here. This lovely piece deserves meticulous preparation
    and flawless execution. And it must sing, above all.

3. pepasch

consultant
    Last Name:
    Schuttevaar
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.

Contrary to your suggestions, the tempo as well as the amount of rubato and the dynamic contrast between lead melody and broken chords are very deliberately chosen. In a sense, the piece is a "note spinning machine". All these small notes should be heard for the machine to make its spinning. The melody shines on top of that and should not push the spinning machine into a background murmur. If the tempo is to low, if the dynamic contrast is to big, or the rubato to abundant, the spinning machine goes away and the melody has no fundament anymore. At least that is my humble opinion.

Such a viewpoint is probably a bit outside of mainstream Schubert interpretation, but i will carry my cross of eccentricity with pride ;-)

I am aware though, that the execution is not perfect, so there are inaccuracies indeed.

Anyway, the sound of the Roland digital piano as not "too bad"? That's good. What is the restriction (in sound) that you talk about? What is being restricted? (i mean there are many settings that i can change on the thing..)

Greetings from over here.
    Peter Schuttevaar

4. pepasch

consultant
    Last Name:
    Schuttevaar
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hi Chis,

Yet another small thing. I just had another look at the website. My name does not appear among the performers anymore. And the music i uploaded seems to be off-line also. I can however google to my profile and discover that it is still there.

Did i miss something?

Greetings from Peter Schuttevaar

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    IIRC you only had one or two videos on the site. We stopped doing videos many years ago. Also many years ago we cleaned out a large number of inactive users who only had one or two recordings and had never been seen since. I'm quite surprised that your profile can be easily found in Google. It is an internal page in our CMS and should therefore probably not be visible to the outside world.

6. pepasch

consultant
    Last Name:
    Schuttevaar
    First Name:
    Peter
    Allright Chris,

I understand. So no more video's. Well OK, sometimes it is better to focus.

Greetings from Peter

7. pepasch

consultant
    Last Name:
    Schuttevaar
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hi there,

Here is another version of the Ges-impromptu that i recorded yesterday.

It is - i believe - a bit more tranquille.... as it is sundaymorning right now.

Greetings from Holland.

8. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello Peter,
    Welcome back to Piano Society !
    I've just listened the second version of your impromptu. It is not bad at all; I like your sostenutto, and I find the main melody quite well outlined and continuous in spite of the underlying flow of sixteen notes. My main criticism lies in the fact that some accented notes are played slightly in advance, which is "uncomfortable" for the listener (like if you suddenly lack of air). It's good to give expression, but when there is a crescendo and a culminating note, it is generally better to slightly decrease the speed rather than to accelerate, at least in this style of music, I think... Otherwise, the sound of your digital keyboard is nice, with the usual limitation of these instruments: sometimes too much dynamics (in the loud range, in your case), and above all the lack of sympathy between the notes, which can be heared when you use the forte pedal. But of course, it is better than nothing, and your piano will be always perfectly tuned !

9. pepasch

consultant
    Last Name:
    Schuttevaar
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hello Francois,

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that you liked it. I will try and notice these "advance notes" for the next time i push the record button.

Concerning the Roland. We have three piano's over here. A blüthner, a Schimmel and this Roland. I think the Roland actually sounds better than the other two. I will try some settings the next time and see if i can enhance the sound experience.

In a manner, i find it actually more difficult and challenging to play on a digital piano. The instrument does not forgive you even the slightest aberration in touché.

Greetings from Holland

10. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Well, is the aim to maximise the difficulty of an instrument ? For me, which matters is the pleasure you get (and you may provide, sometimes, to the listeners). Sometimes I find that digital keyboards are nice to play for some minutes, but after a while you get bored because it is too easy and not as lively as an acoustic piano (even upright). But this is personnal, of course.

11. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Again an astonishing interpretation, full of passion and very far from the serenity and calm I associate with this piece.

My main gripe here is the unevenness of the RH accompaniment. In these figures there are notes missing, unduly accented, or out of time to an extent that it detracts significantly. The impression is that you carelessly play this faster than your technique allows. If you want this speed I guess you need to practice more - there are standard ways to do it, with RH only, with lots of repetitions accenting and resting on every note in turn. Bring it up to speed slowly and take care the RH is always completely relaxed.

Btw, if you want to re-post an updated version it is better to start a new thread, or readers might miss it.

Joachim

12. pepasch

consultant
    Last Name:
    Schuttevaar
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hello Joachim,

Thank you very much for the feedback. Nice to know that you are astonished by it.

You are right, the right hand broken cords are not always as even as i want them to be.

I have a tendency to forget about the textbook and to never look into it again. Then - after some time - at passages where holes appear in my memory-banks, my fingers start to guess their way through the keys. That causes some erosion in accuracy.

So i will try and find some time to practice the peace some more, and the repair the omissions in my memory-banks, and see if i can make it even more astonishing.

Greetings from Holland

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    In that case I will skip on this version and hold my breath for the next one.

14. verqueue

verqueue New Member

Home Page:
    Hi,
    I enjoyed your recording, but there are some things I didn't like. I felt that I was a bit rushed, that you didn't think about shaping melody. There are some notes in low register which seem to happen abruptly. In my opinion you could add more rubato and practice more with listening to it. Some fragments are really nice, it would be good if they are connected nicely too ;). I liked your tone and your touch (besides these notes in bass).

Best regards.