Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert, Hungarian Melody D. 817

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Didier, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

Student, amateur musician
    Hi Didier,

Is there any similar freeware reverb device that works with Mac so I could test it out?

2. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Hi Horowitzian,

you need an audio editor and a convolution plugin for exploiting the Bricasti IRs. Audacity is available for Mac. SIR1 is only available for Windows. I don't know whether there is another convolution plugin as an alternative freeware for Mac.

3. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

I have Audacity 1.3.7 for Mac OS X, FWIW. Thanks for the info! :wink: What is the convolution plugin? I must confess to being relatively new to all this. :oops:

4. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    A plugin is a computer program that is intended to work within an host application, an audio editor in our case, Audacity for instance. There are are a lot of free audio plugins for equalizing, noise removing end so on: just google free plugins. A convolution plugin exploits implulse responses, which are synthetic or recorded audio files representing the sound signature of a room, to add reverberation to an audio file. You should google convolution plugin for MAC. :)

5. JohnAnderson

JohnAnderson New Member

pianist
    Home Page:
    Well done Didier! And excellent sound quality, as always. You really do a great service to us amateur recorders!

6. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

Will do. :D

7. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

Most of the "free" ones are actually demos that make some crappy noise every ten seconds, I guess to remind you to fork over the money. And the ones that really are freeware, I have no idea how good they are. Any advice there?

8. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    The convolution plugin is mandatory but its choice is not so important. They all perform a convolution, which is the same mathematical operation for every one.

The reverb quality rely on the IR used by the convolution plugin. The free Bricasti IRs are very good. The IR form acousticas are stereo. All convolutrion plugins can use them. The IRs from signaltonoize.com are twin-stereo (2 stereo files per IR) and requires more advanced convolution plugins. I do not think that the difference between both is substantial. I could post a short demo here for comparing them if you wish.

Unfortunately for you the software offer for Mac is more limited than for PC. I can't give you any advice because I am on PC. :oops:

9. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

There's actually a good deal for Mac...but it's all extremely expensive. The cheapest one I could find was like $500 USD. :shock: I'm sure they are worth every penny, but it's overkill for me. Freeware is exactly what I need. :D

I'd like a comparison if it's not too much trouble. :)

10. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

I found a freeware convolver know as LAConvolver that seems to be well spoken of, and got Audacity to recognize it after some fiddling. Now I guess I need some impulse responses. :D

[edit] I downloaded that first Bricasti M7 zip file you linked to. Can't quite figure out what I'm supposed to do with them...

11. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    For the IRs, see the links to Acousticas and Signaltonoize that I gave above.

Here attached the demos with Acousticas + SIR1 and Signaltonoize + Liquidsonics. That's my current piano work, recorded today, with preset Tanglewood (a bit early, is'nt it in September?) from Bricasti M7. The reverb is exagerated a lot for the demo purpose.

12. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

Thanks! Sounds really nice and natural. :wink:

I downloaded the first link (not the one for stereo) already, but I think I'll get the other one later. Do you need both, or can the less sophisticated one be trashed so save space on disk?

Also, I gotta figure out how the plugin I found works...

13. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

The zip file from signaltonoize will not open on Mac. :evil:

14. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

OK, I've pretty much given up on the plugin I found. It doesn't seem to work in Audacity though it shows up in the effects menu. :(

15. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    You need only one. If you don't worry working only with the single stereo IRs, you are done. Note that both IR sets works in stereo. A true stereo IR consisting in two stereo files, instead of one only, allows for generating two different stereo reverberation components, each one from a single channel of the stereo recording, which are summed. It's an audio purist approach, but one may not hear so much an improvement...

I did not succeeded also to make Audacity work with external plugins when I tested that some times ago. But it is most likely compatible...

16. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Didier,
    your examples sound wonderfully, both concerning sound-quality and playing! You really have improved your rhythmic steadiness enourmously. It´s very good now! And you play this with such a great musical feeling, that I´m deeply touched.
    I like this Tanglewood preset and will try it out with my next recording, though may be the reverberation is indeed a bit exaggerated. Thanks to you that I´m able to applicate all these interesting ambiences and reverberation-settings, some of them I like more some not so, and some are really wonderful. All in all this is a great treasure you have given to us! :!:

To Horrowitzian:
    During my researches with Bricasti M7 in one folder I have found an installation-introduction for MAC, if you would like I could look for it a second time. (Not sure, if I will find it again.)

17. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

If you could find it again — and it's not the one I've tried already :lol: — that would be a big help if you could find it. But take your time. :wink:

18. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

OK, thanks. The true stereo zip wouldn't unarchive anyway, so it's a moot point. I'll stick with the more basic one. Now to make a plugin work.

19. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Didier, Andreas and Horowitz - I have also downloaded that AccousticasM7-1 zip file and also the SIR 1 zip file. Can one of you please tell me how to get them into Audacity? Andreas mentioned sticking it into a VST plug-in folder. Where is that folder? If someone could explain this to me, I would be very very grateful. (but please use simple terms!:wink:)

20. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

On a Mac, it will be under "your user account"<Library<Audio<Plug-ins, if you look in Finder. Or you could do a spotlight search.